Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?

  • Subject: Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:41:00 +0000

> It seems a shame to write code to target a software application, the
> connector, rather than the device itself, the device being the
> constant, the connector application (either native or a helper)
being
> random and subject to change.

I'm not sure how changing the vendor-id helps with this problem!

> If I ran DeveloperB's super-duper-shiny application that sends out
> Display.SliMP3 messages, does that therefore not force me to also
run
> DeveloperB's connector application?? Configurability allowing, that
> really forces me to write my own s/w for both if one doesn't quite
do
> as I require.

This is where ratified schema come in. If Developer B uses a standard
xAP schema for Slim messages, then any Slim connector which supports
the standard should inter-work just fine - all that is required is
that the vendor field of the address is wildcarded with a "*" at
the
receiver.

> Maybe the schema used should dictate the target addressing scheme
too?

It's certainly part of the overall "interaction" specification, I
think you are right, we need to think in terms of standard "xAP
interfaces" = schema + addressing, rather than just schema.

Patrick