Re: C++ Framework Interoperability

  • Subject: Re: C++ Framework Interoperability
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:07:00 +0000

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:51:33 -0500, "Sullivan, Glenn"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=83-WYF8mo4VXDsnBkXrB6hPx2XcJbyAfbmQAH5Ft6eLDc-U4a8G6dPtw3E6E1oM0BesGHVBJCP54NliVSnHQd3Q8">gsullivan@d...</a>>
wrote:

>I using VS2003, but in order to write a plug-in for WinAmp (which I
thought
>would be a cool xAP project)

Oh yes, it would indeed! I have a selection of projects in mind in
that area too but they're way down the list at the moment.

>I guess I was just looking for an example to rip apart, since I'm lost
as
>heck right now.

Sorry, not something I've done as I mentioned, and nobody has
mentioned doing anything with MC++ and xFx to me yet I'm afraid.

>But with two weeks vacation coming up, I should have some time to read
and
>that's where I learn everything.
>
>Any book suggestions? Like I said, I have been programming for 15
years,
>but never jumped the C hurdle, and then skipped right to C# because it
>seemed way simpler. So I don't want a "Here's a loop, Here's a
variable,
>Here's an IF statement" type book...

From the C# perspective I can heartily recommend this one, which is an
excellent must-read, possibly regardless of your C# knowledge. Lots of
nice details on things I hadn't realised. Very interesting.

Applied Microsoft.NET Framework Programming
Author: Jeffrey Richter
ISBN: 0-7356-1422-9

For COM/.NET interop I've been meaning to pick this one up:

I read this same chap's "C# and the .NET Platform" when I was
starting
out on C# last year and thought it was an excellent starting book.

As I've yet to do any MC++ I've not picked up any books to read - I've
already got far too many I haven't finished, some I haven't started
yet.

This seems a bit thin:

But this seems substantial:

Not seen either so I've no idea how much time you'd waste skipping the
bits about basic C/C++!

I'd very much like to hear how you get on with this since I have a
latent interest there too. It's something that I figured I'd have a
look at when the interest grabbed me and your work might be a
catalyst.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=Vx8pyAL6Jvsz2VTXSpp9A3Kh2EqTpZIxvedEWjudnphzBwmEsnqGkYfGCbxWsZkL3pc09jauIaaSUNWGdw">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net