Re: Newbie questions

  • Subject: Re: Newbie questions
  • From: "bdstl06" <bdstl06@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:13:49 -0000

Thanks for this help, esp the service start order info.  My initial
attempt to correct the start order was to uninstall Four as a service,
reboot, and manually start xfx-Express before HB.  I received the same
error as reported on the console display, but I think more
experimentation is necessary before I bother this group.

Bryan

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Paul Gale <groups2@...> wrote:

> You could also delay starting of the other apps - I do that here by
using a free utility called delayexec.exe - that way, the loading
order of apps can be guaranteed by writing a small batch file.

> Paul.

Behalf Of Kevin Hawkins

<bdstl06@> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > I'm using four, blue, housebot and xfx-Express hub.  With
some
> > initial
> > > experimentation, I was able to see blue interact correctly
with
> > > housebot (XP, HB) by detecting messages from another
computer
(Vista,
> > > Blue, xfx-hub) with a bluetooth dongle, creating devices
> > corresponding
> > > to attached detected devices, etc.
> > >
> > > I've since done two things that haven't worked or that I
don't
> > > understand.  First, I installed xfx-Express hub on the HB XP
> > computer.
> > > It reports that that it can't bind to the socket on the
local host
> > > (alreadyinuse).  Any ideas?
> >
> > The hub must be the first xAP application that starts on any
machine.
> >  ie it must start before HouseBot or Four.  The message it is
giving
> > indicates another xAP applications has started before it.
> > Installing xFX Express as a service is strongly recommended as
then
> > it's always started before any applications.
> >
> > If a xAP application appears deaf (isn't seeing incoming
messages) it
> > is a good sign that the hub isn't working.  All xAP applications
can
> > send messages without requiring a hub.
> >

> > > Second, I installed four on the HB computer.  It works, but
shows no
> > > interaction with HB.  Should it?  My intention here is to
establish a
> > > twitter based family messaging capability (SMS and
housebot-based),
> > but
> > > admittedly I'm currently just playing to get a feel for the
right way
> > > to implement this capability.  I thought four would show up
in HB as
> > > device.
> >
> > I'm not overly familiar with Four but HouseBot only automatically
> > creates devices from xAP devices that are using the BSC schema.
> >
> > You can manually create devices that are linked with individual
> > parameter values within any xAP schema by using a xAP Listener
device
> > (Create device > requires hardware interface > xAP >
etc).  Likewise
> > you can build non NSC schema messages to send by using a xAP
Sender