Re: Newbie questions

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "bdstl06" <bdstl06@...>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using four, blue, housebot and xfx-Express hub.  With some initial
> experimentation, I was able to see blue interact correctly with
> housebot (XP, HB) by detecting messages from another computer (Vista,
> Blue, xfx-hub) with a bluetooth dongle, creating devices corresponding
> to attached detected devices, etc.
>
> I've since done two things that haven't worked or that I don't
> understand.  First, I installed xfx-Express hub on the HB XP computer.
> It reports that that it can't bind to the socket on the local host
> (alreadyinuse).  Any ideas?

The hub must be the first xAP application that starts on any machine.
ie it must start before HouseBot or Four.  The message it is giving
indicates another xAP applications has started before it.
Installing xFX Express as a service is strongly recommended as then
it's always started before any applications.

If a xAP application appears deaf (isn't seeing incoming messages) it
is a good sign that the hub isn't working.  All xAP applications can
send messages without requiring a hub.

> Second, I installed four on the HB computer.  It works, but shows no
> interaction with HB.  Should it?  My intention here is to establish a
> twitter based family messaging capability (SMS and housebot-based),
but
> admittedly I'm currently just playing to get a feel for the right way
> to implement this capability.  I thought four would show up in HB as a
> device.

I'm not overly familiar with Four but HouseBot only automatically
creates devices from xAP devices that are using the BSC schema.

You can manually create devices that are linked with individual
parameter values within any xAP schema by using a xAP Listener device
(Create device > requires hardware interface > xAP > etc).
Likewise
you can build non NSC schema messages to send by using a xAP Sender
device.

HouseBot has a great help section on the various xAP devices which
should help you as you delve further here.

Cheers Kevin