Re: VMware guest not receiving xAP broadcast traffic from Host

------=_Part_40853_16556568.1228659001961

Are you using bridged networking? Your VMs need to have IPs in the same
network as the host.

Patrick

2008/12/7 a_pluck <groups@xxxxxxx>

> Hello all, I am learning my way around xAP!
>
> I have a physical vista 32bit machine which runs SqueezeCenter (with
> the xAP plugin) and SageTV.
>
> This machine is also a VMware host running Server 1.0.8 , with a
> couple of 2003 server VMware guests, one of which runs HS2.
>
> The problem is that although the host machine is sending SqueezeCenter
> xAP broadcasts, I cannot see these messages on the Homeseer guest, or
> indeed any of the other VMs on that box.
>
> I know the host is transmitting them, because they show up when
> running xFX message viewer on the host machine itself, and also from a
> laptop elsewhere on the LAN, as well as VM guests running on the
laptop.

> Messages are visible between the 2 vm guests, just not between host
> and guests.
>
> I am assuming that either Vista or VMware is not forwarding on the
> broadcast traffic to the guests when it originates from the host.
>
> I could move SqueezeCenter to a VM, or move HS to the host, but don't
> want to if there is another way around this problem? Any ideas?
>
> I am testing using xFX in hub mode on all machines.
>
> There is a single NIC on the host, and ALL vmware virtual network
> interfaces have been removed, so I don't think it is a binding
problem.

> Sending xAP control messages from the HS2 VM does work fine - these
> are received by SqueezeCenter on the host. When the doorbell is
> pressed, all the Squeezeboxes now switch on or interrupt the playlist
> and play a doorbell noise...
>
> For reference, original post is here
> http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=132435
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

------=_Part_40853_16556568.1228659001961

<!--
#ygrp-mkp{
border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
font-family: Arial;
margin: 14px 0px;
padding: 0px 14px;
}
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
color: #628c2a;
font-size: 85%;
font-weight: bold;
line-height: 122%;
margin: 10px 0px;
}
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom: 10px;
}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding: 0 0;
}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color: #0000ff;
text-decoration: none;
}
-->
</head>

Are you using bridged networking? Your VMs need to have IPs in the same
class="gmail_quote">2008/12/7 a_pluck <span
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
1ex;">Hello all, I am learning my way around xAP!<br>
I have a physical vista 32bit machine which runs SqueezeCenter
(with<br>
the xAP plugin) and SageTV.<br>
This machine is also a VMware host running Server 1.0.8 , with a<br>
couple of 2003 server VMware guests, one of which runs HS2.<br>
The problem is that although the host machine is sending
SqueezeCenter<br>
xAP broadcasts, I cannot see these messages on the Homeseer guest,
or<br>
indeed any of the other VMs on that box.<br>
I know the host is transmitting them, because they show up when<br>
running xFX message viewer on the host machine itself, and also from
a<br>
laptop elsewhere on the LAN, as well as VM guests running on the
laptop.<br>
Messages are visible between the 2 vm guests, just not between
host<br>
and guests.<br>
I am assuming that either Vista or VMware is not forwarding on
the<br>
broadcast traffic to the guests when it originates from the host.<br>
I could move SqueezeCenter to a VM, or move HS to the host, but
don&#39;t<br>
want to if there is another way around this problem? Any ideas?<br>
I am testing using xFX in hub mode on all machines.<br>
There is a single NIC on the host, and ALL vmware virtual network<br>
interfaces have been removed, so I don&#39;t think it is a binding
problem.<br>
Sending xAP control messages from the HS2 VM does work fine -
these<br>
are received by SqueezeCenter on the host. When the doorbell is<br>
pressed, all the Squeezeboxes now switch on or interrupt the
playlist<br>
and play a doorbell noise...<br>
For reference, original post is here<br>
target="_blank">http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=132435</a><br>
Thanks for any pointers!<br>