VMware guest not receiving xAP broadcast traffic from Host

  • Subject: VMware guest not receiving xAP broadcast traffic from Host
  • From: "a_pluck" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 10:40:06 -0000

Hello all, I am learning my way around xAP!

I have a physical vista 32bit machine which runs SqueezeCenter (with
the xAP plugin) and SageTV.

This machine is also a VMware host running Server 1.0.8 , with a
couple of 2003 server VMware guests, one of which runs HS2.

The problem is that although the host machine is sending SqueezeCenter
xAP broadcasts, I cannot see these messages on the Homeseer guest, or
indeed any of the other VMs on that box.

I know the host is transmitting them, because they show up when
running xFX message viewer on the host machine itself, and also from a
laptop elsewhere on the LAN, as well as VM guests running on the laptop.

Messages are visible between the 2 vm guests, just not between host
and guests.

I am assuming that either Vista or VMware is not forwarding on the
broadcast traffic to the guests when it originates from the host.

I could move SqueezeCenter to a VM, or move HS to the host, but don't
want to if there is another way around this problem? Any ideas?

I am testing using xFX in hub mode on all machines.

There is a single NIC on the host, and ALL vmware virtual network
interfaces have been removed, so I don't think it is a binding problem.

Sending xAP control messages from the HS2 VM does work fine - these
are received by SqueezeCenter on the host. When the doorbell is
pressed, all the Squeezeboxes now switch on or interrupt the playlist
and play a doorbell noise...

For reference, original post is here
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=132435

Thanks for any pointers!