Re: x10 connector and state unknown!

  • Subject: Re: x10 connector and state unknown!
  • From: "lasses nilsson" <lasse10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:55:04 -0000

My fault then.I think I tried the activehome and at startup
it "guessed" the state correctly. I know I tried turning on the
lights outside activehome and it figured it out. I probably messed
the testing out cause I believe your answer.

Thanks again for the info.

//Lasse
--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@...>
wrote:

> Hi Lasses .
>
>     The LM12 and the AM12 are both very simple X10 devices (as you
said)
> and neither of these support the X10 status request. They are
receivers
> only - ie they can hear the commands sent to them on the mains
wiring
> but they can't send any information back. Status requires a
transceiver
> .   In order to best guess X10 state software applications monitor
for
> X10 commands sent on the line and try and track changes. The xAP
conduit
> does this as does ActiveHome I suspect.  At startup they are not
aware
> of any current state information and either show 'unknown' or
perhaps
> retain the state at last shutdown. ActiveHome will not be able to
give
> you a reliable status indication at startup for you X10 devices.
> Additionally neither can track local state changes , should you
for
> example turn a lamp on by it's switch (that is attached to the
LM12).
> It is best to leave these applications running 24/7 if you want to
track
> state, although that still doesn't solve the local control issue.
>
>     In fact very few X10 modules that are available in Europe have
this
> status ability. If you can find X10 modules supporting this then I
> believe ActiveHome can use it.  Unfortunately Europe has been
sadly
> neglected by X10 manufacturers in terms of available product
essentially
> due to approvals, manufacturing cost and market size. This has led
many
> people now to seek alternative product offerings but still pricing
and
> availability lag the US market.  Z-Wave, ZigBee , UPB are all
emerging
> and there are established products like C-Bus, Dynalite, Lutron
etc at
> the higher end.
>
>     The xAP X10 connector does not (IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong
> Edward) actually support the 'status' request due to lack of
available
> product to test against. For some fortunate US users this may be
an
> issue to place on the 'wishlist'  but for European users it isn't.
Here

<http://www.intellihome.be>
> > and I was using(for 15 minutes) their software called ActiveHome
> >
> > hope this info helps.
> >
> > Regards Lasse
> >
> > --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> > <mailto:xap_automation%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Edward Pearson"