Re: Re: x10 connector and state unknown!

Hi Lasses .

The LM12 and the AM12 are both very simple X10 devices (as you said)
and neither of these support the X10 status request. They are receivers
only - ie they can hear the commands sent to them on the mains wiring
but they can't send any information back. Status requires a transceiver
.   In order to best guess X10 state software applications monitor for
X10 commands sent on the line and try and track changes. The xAP conduit
does this as does ActiveHome I suspect.  At startup they are not aware
of any current state information and either show 'unknown' or perhaps
retain the state at last shutdown. ActiveHome will not be able to give
you a reliable status indication at startup for you X10 devices.
Additionally neither can track local state changes , should you for
example turn a lamp on by it's switch (that is attached to the LM12).
It is best to leave these applications running 24/7 if you want to track
state, although that still doesn't solve the local control issue.

In fact very few X10 modules that are available in Europe have this
status ability. If you can find X10 modules supporting this then I
believe ActiveHome can use it.  Unfortunately Europe has been sadly
neglected by X10 manufacturers in terms of available product essentially
due to approvals, manufacturing cost and market size. This has led many
people now to seek alternative product offerings but still pricing and
availability lag the US market.  Z-Wave, ZigBee , UPB are all emerging
and there are established products like C-Bus, Dynalite, Lutron etc at
the higher end.

The xAP X10 connector does not (IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong
Edward) actually support the 'status' request due to lack of available
product to test against. For some fortunate US users this may be an
issue to place on the 'wishlist'  but for European users it isn't. Here
in Europe we can place X10 modules supporting 'status' and other
extended X10 features on our wishlist !

Kevin

lasses nilsson wrote:

> I got 2 kinds of X10 devices(3 with the connector)
>
> First the connector to the computer:
> CM11 PC Interface - USB Ref: IH3010.
>
> Second, dimmers:
> Lamp Module - IH2010 - LM12
>
> Third app modules:
> Appliance Module - IH2020 - AM12
>
> got em all from http://www.intellihome.be <http://www.intellihome.be>
> and I was using(for 15 minutes) their software called ActiveHome
>
> hope this info helps.
>
> Regards Lasse
>
> --- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:xap_automation%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Edward Pearson"