Re: Switchboard IM alerts

A basic xAP IM system is something that I'm going to have a go at when
I get
some spare time.

I've not got far with it at the moment, nothing more than a rough design,
I'm not even sure if what I want to do is even possible.  Here's the rough
outline of what would be a client / server app:

A xAP "client" application that could run on multiple PC's that
would:

Register itself with the server application, which would then allow
multiple
IM accounts to be "associated" to the client
Allow basic IM chat / messages to be relayed to the server side for onward
transmission to the correct IM service
Allow contact management either locally stored or centrally stored in the
server app, or even in xAP DB

A xAP "server" application that would:

Integrate various different IM services (yahoo, msn, aol, icq, jabber) much
like the windows application "Trillian" does
(www.ceruleanstudios.com)
Handle registrations with the various services in response to xAP messages
-
for example if it received a xAP message that told it to "log in"
to msn
with the account details xxx@xxxxxxx and password xxxx it would do so,
remembering which local client was associated with which IM account(s) so
that inbound messages could be relayed back to the correct local client
accordingly
Handle local chat / IM between xAP IM clients
Also have IM "hub" facilities so that IM messages could be routed
directly
between services (so for example a rule could be set up that would relay
messages from an aol IM account to an MSN IM account and route any replies
back)

As everything locally would be done with xAP schema messages then that
opens
up the possibility of any other xAP application being able to be directly
connected to IM (so for example xAP News could send IM alerts to designated
contacts in response to news.alert events).

In fact I believe that Trillian supports an API for plugin development so
it
might even be possible to hook directly into that....

Martyn