Re: xAP COM port interface?

  • Subject: Re: xAP COM port interface?
  • From: "garygfx" <garygfx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:11:27 -0000

Thanks Kevin, I may take you up on that. The background on my=20
specific need is... to provide caller ID data to a computer without=20
spending =A3100 on Meteor. Ebay is flooded with compact BT caller=20
display units for =A31 each. They're really great and has a quality=20
dot matrix LCD display too.

There's a hack on the web to add a serial interface to a similar=20
CD50 unit which, I believe, also works with this more compact unit.=20
A kind chap on the HS forum will experiment with this to verify it=20
can be done. Because CLI also contains data of "message
waiting"=20
1575 service it may be possible to use that to create household=20
alerts to waiting messages.

So if your app can package up data it receives from the COM port=20
then I can attempt to write a vb script for HS to interprit and=20
format the incoming data. I know HS can handle COM port data itself=20
but because its scripts are only executed when it identifies an=20
event it won't know when a call is coming though. So your app sounds=20
ideal.

I don't have VB6 so I won't be able to modify or compile your app.=20
Shame about the memory leak though. Is it like 100Kb/day or more?
Cheers,
Gary.

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>=20
wrote:
> There is an outline BSC Skeleton application that has all the=20
structure=20
> inbuilt to create devices as BSC v1.3 . Thus if your device was=20
mappable=20
> to a few binary, level or text based devcies this could work for=20
you.=20
> You could even reflect the whole serial data as a BSC text device=20
if you=20
> wanted.  I never quite finished it although it is used for example=20
in=20
> the TOM10 connector. If you wanted the source code for this - it=20
is in=20
> VB6 then I can send you it .It works fine... apart from....
>=20
> There is one potential other issue and that is that we have=20
discovered a=20
> memory leak in Patricks xAP OCX and it is taking a little while to=20
fix,=20
> this causes an increasing memory footprint with every xAP message=20
> received  :-(  but I am hoping we will see a new version soon.
>=20
>      Kevin
>=20
> garygfx wrote:
>=20
> >Does anyone know if such a thing exists please? This would be a=20
little=20
> >app to monitor a COM port (rs232) for Windows and create xAP
msgs=20
for=20