Re: Need help configuring xAP -> e-mail OSD

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:33:26 +0100, "John Andrews"
<groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have installed xAP Hub as a service - works fine
>Installed xAP Mail Monitor as a service - works fine (i.e. I can see
>messages with message viewer)
>Installed xAP New Email OSD as a service - this bit does not work, if I
run
>the app version then there are no events listed, but if I run the app
>version on another machine then the events are listed - so it seems it
is
>conflicting with the firewall on the XP machine, any ideas?
>I have added NewEmailOSD as an allowed application in the XP firewall
rules,
>but no joy.
>
>BTW This is the XP firewall that Micro$oft give you and the whole
process
>works fine if I disable the firewall.

I've no practical experience of xAP vs the Windows Firewall I'm
afraid, but how wierd is it that the Hub and Mail Monitor work fine
(with Viewer), but EmailOSD is silent.

Is Viewer also on the same machine? That would mean that MailMon is
logging new emails and pumping out the messages onto the xAP network.
Viewer will receive a copy via Hub, as should EmailOSD.

In the set of application flavours (the non Service versions), do any
of them mention running as a Hub in the title bar? None should as the
actual xAP Hub should be performing that role, but I'm wondering if
maybe it isn't.

It might also be worth running a non-Service Hub. For example, try
stopping the xAP Hub Service, and then restarting everything, Viewer
first. Viewer should automatically take on the Hub role. Then check to
see that NewEmailOSD connects to Viewer and appears in its tree.
Alternatively, using the GUIHub should show you just the devices
connected which is even more explicit as to what's occuring.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/