RE: xAP Switchboard beta 3 released

  • Subject: RE: xAP Switchboard beta 3 released
  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <gsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:09:04 -0400

Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> So back to the USA  -   the good news is that if you have a zip code
> entered for a caller then it does look it up correctly I think - and
> will display a map at street level - I am not sure how
> accurate this is
> - I used to live in Santa Ana and so tried 90706 and it has
> placed me in
> Paramount but that may be the top left of the 90706 area - I
> know there
> are longer ZIP's now that identify to road level I just don't
> have one to
> hand....    If you know a good test one then let me know and I'll try
> it.  I have no idea how this might work in other countries -
> depends on
> how Google looks it up - maybe there's a country code that
> can be added
> too in case countries use similar postal codes.

You can try this:
01520-2521

Google Maps seems to ignore the "+4" portion of the zip code
though, and
center itself on Holden, MA...

I get the impression that this only works on outgoing calls... Is that
correct?  The NetCallerID device does not report dialed digits, so
outgoing doesn't get registered, until I manage to knock up a DTMF
recognizer, but that's pretty low on the list right now.  My daughters
are still young... ;-)

> >Maybe I'm too impatient...
> >

> If you have any contact entry with a zip code entered and a
> call in the
> history there should be a globe against it - a globe doesn't
> appear from
> the contacts list unfortunately - this might be a nice idea
> James - so
> you can see where people are ??   If your CID device supports
> reporting
> dialled digits (does it ?) then just dial their number and hangup
> immediately to create an entry.    Alternatively cheat and edit a xAP
> message to add a different number that does have a zip code -
> probably
> easiest.
>
> >(It will be interesting to see how this works for US addresses...
We
> >have "states" instead of "Counties" and a
different postal code
> >format...)
> >

> So - half works and half doesn't I guess..  and the half that doesn't
> could be fixed if someone can help  .......
>
> What would be very useful is to try and get a database of all the US
> dialling codes in as much detail as possible - for example the (415)
> area code and then 415 broken down into as many defined regions as
> possible. Then Switchboard will display this for you, and announce it
> too by name. If you can get the latitude and longitude of the
> exchanges
> then map lookup will work for you on unknown callers but I
> think we were
> particularly lucky in finding this information for the UK.   We also
> have detail of some of the allocated special numbers and carriers
> entered and mobile phone services so the UK is well served.  I would
> love to get other countries added , particularly the US so if
> anyone can
> get this US information in some format (DB or tab / comma
> delimited) it
> would be great.   I hope to get the international dialling
> codes added
> to the database too shortly. again if someone has a good list
> of these
> ideally with country and main cities listed it would make it easier.
> email me (or James) with any such info and I will add it to
> the DB.   It
> is nice that you can create localised databases this way but
> maintaining
> them to current codes can be problematic of course - no
> promises to keep
> them up to date.

I think my company may own a database like what you want, and even have
a redist license.  I'll double check...

I think that the reason that I don't see any globes on the list is
because, until this morning, none of my contacts had any address
information.  Perhaps they needed to have a zip code listed when the
call was received to get mapped?

Thanks for helping out...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.