Re: Very newbie Homeseer question

  • Subject: Re: Very newbie Homeseer question
  • From: "tnichols2594" <tnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:40:56 -0000

Thanks Kevin,

It seems that a computer at the barn running HS would be able to more
accurately track status of those devices located at the barn.  If the
second computer was linked via xAP to the house computer, then the
main house computer could be updated as to the status of the barn
devices periodicly.  It sounds like I wasted my time on the serial
server even though it works (less status).  How reliable would this
system be? Could I rely on it to control the HVAC in the barn office?
or the sprinkler system located in that area?  I am also going to add
cameras at the barn but those could be networked to the main house
easily.

Thanks for your help.

TNichols

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I'm going to leave the HomeSeer  xAP X10 route to James to
respond on
> as he knows better than me - I think there is a workable solution
there
> with xAP as effectively you can have multiple networked X10
connectors
> via a LAN working from one HS application.  One concern might be
that
> keeping things in synch might be a bit of an issue regarding
relative
> dims and also the remote / delayed transfers via the Ethernet
serial
> link. Extended X10 too might be awkward, but Edward might know ???
The
> lack of X10 status may or may not be an issue.  HS makes some
clever
> assumptions to guess/track  the state of X10 devices and
progressive
> errors can creep in here.    Anyway -I think there's another way to
> approach this... see  below...
>
> tnichols2594 wrote:
>
> >I am using homeseer to control multiple devices in my home via a
> >smarthome usb interface.  I have a horse barn or stable about 300
> >yards away that I also need to control the lighting and many other
> >devices there.  The barn is connected to the main house via fiber
and
> >the barn office is on the local lan with the main house.
> >
> >I installed a Lantronix EPS1 serial server at the barn and then
> >connected that to a serial X10 interface to enable me to send X10
> >commands to the barn via ethernet/lan.  However, I did not realize
> >that HS would not allow me to connect two different X10 interfaces
> >and I need them both.
> >

> There is possibly a hardware kludge available here that would allow
you
> to connect the two serial X10 devices to one serial port - one in
your
> home and one in the barn, but FTTB let me see if we can work out
another
> route...
>
> >I was told on the HS message board that xAP would allow me to do
this
> >and wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on what needed
> >be done or if this could be a reliable control method for the
barn.
> >It is too far away for wireless (unless expensive directional
version)
> >and not on the same power grid.
> >

> A few gotchas there then to the easy solution :-)  ....   I am
taking as
> 'a given' that you wish to utilse X10 in the barn as your chosen
> lighting system...
>
> xAP to the rescue I think..
>     Assuming you would be prepared to have a PC sitting in the
barn  as
> well then you could run another copy of HomeSeer on that and
actually
> 'synchronise' HS devices between the two systems using xAP and the
BSC
> schema.  Then you would attach a local X10 connector to that
Homeseer