Re: xAP and Tivo..

I've got the turbonet card and the tivoweb instaled,

In your opinion / experiance which is better? PC app creating the
HTTP or a 'native' tivo listner?

I like many others have pc's that run 24/7 so the app isn't a
problem hosting wise.

Also do you have an updated link as the http://patrick.lidstone.net
one dosen't work (Don't think it's me)

Again many thanks as always..

Stuart.
--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>
wrote:
> Stuart wrote:
>

> >I've new to xAP and thus prob have missed somethig obvious here.
> >

> Welcome..
>
> >I've seen lots of referances to xAP messages and Tivo, they often
> >talk about 'If you don't have a native xAP listener running on
your
> >networked TiVo' My question is, What is the native xAP listener
for
> >Tivo and how will it display messages on screen?
> >

> Basically there are three ways to display messages on a Tivo. All
really
> require the TivoNet card to be installed in your Tivo so you have
access
> to the Tivo over Ethernet.
>
>     1) You run TivoWeb on your Tivo - this application allows
messages
> to be displayed on the Tivo by posting a message via the http API
that
> TivoWeb provides. Basically you form the message within data in
the URL
> and Tivo will display it. This requires no xAP modifications to
Tivo,
> however it requires a xAP helper application running on a PC to
form the
> data correctly as a URL  to send to TivoWeb. This application
watches
> out for 'OSD / display' messages on xAP and converts them for
Tivo. I am
> not aware of such a xAP application though.
>
> 1) You run 'YAC listener'  on your Tivo - this native application
allows
> messages to be displayed on the Tivo by posting a message via a
special
> display protocol that it implements. Basically you form the
message in
> network packet and Tivo will display it. This requires no xAP
> modifications to Tivo, however it requires a xAP helper
application
> running on a PC to form the data correctly as aYAC message  to
send to
> the YAC listener running on the Tivo. This PC application watches
out
> for 'OSD / display' messages on xAP and converts them for YAC on
> Tivo.Stuart has a xAP application for this hosted on
> http://www.xapframework.net
>
> 3) A Tivo 'native' application is an application that actually
runs
> directly on the Tivo box, you have to install it and set it
running. xAP
> on a Tivo requires two Tivo applications, a xAP hub and the caller
ID
> /OSD application. If you install these then the Tivo itself
watches out
> for xAP OSD /display messages and will display them onscreen. It
doesn't
> need a PC based helper application to be running. I believe
Patrick has