Re: Re: Newbie and CID

johngroats1977 wrote:

>Hi Kevin,
>
>Thanks.
>
>I have a tivo with turbonet installed, but I am willing to buy
>(within reason) a solution to accomplish this.
>
>I have read that I would need a METEOR? Is this correct?  The bit I
>don't grasp (apart from the xap bits) is how I would get the CID
>data to the tivo?  Through its' modem?
>
>Is there a site with this sort of thing explained, like a
"building
>blocks" sort of approach?
>
>Cheers,

John,

I don't have a TiVo, so can't help with that bit.

xAP is very much a "building blocks" application.

- On one PC (downstairs in the study, acting as a monitor-less server),
I have a Meteor, and the xAP-Meteor application running.

- On another PC (the laptop I'm using to write this message up in my
study, no less), I have xAPDesktop which automatically displays an
overlay of the caller's phone number when the phone rings.

- The fact that the applications conform to the xAP specification means
that they know how to talk to each other across a network. Hence it
happens "automatically" - the only configuration was to tell
xAPDesktop
that "phones" was one of the things I was interested in it
popping up to
tell me about.

- As I understand things, xAPTiVo runs much the same was as
"xAPDesktop", in that, given you have a TurboNet, you run some
xAP
application that makes things happen on the TiVo automatically.

Any TiVo users out there?

M.