Re: xAP SwitchBoard beta 2 released

Stuart Booth wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I've just installed xSB beta2 onto my Server for the first time. A
> couple of items/queries for you:
>
> 1. I notice that it only creates an mi4 program files entry for the
> installing user. My interactive user on my Server doesn't have
> permissions to install stuff but Switchboard runs under this
> interactive user's session and lacks the icon. No biggy, just an FYI.
I do intend to add a service option which makes all this easier, as tbh
all the icon does is launch a web browser!

> 2. Now, whilst it's difficult for me to test it out, I'm guessing from
> the ToSend.txt file that Switchboard has built-in support for the
> layout of a Message.Display class xAP message ie mapping the various
> adjusters onto their actual xAP schema name/value pairs? Which in turn
> means that to support the Image option I added to Display.Look you
> need to update xAPSwitchboard?
The builtin message.display covers just the basic elements, all that's
needed for simple LCD,VFD or popups. To cover all the extra stuff you'll
need to use the raw mode. As the extra blocks, ie the button ones, won't
effect other display devices if we come up with a generic
message.display message that covers the basics I'll get it added.

> 3. As you can probably guess I'm wanting to connect xAPSwitchboard to
> MCxAP - hence why MCxAP uses Message.Display class messages :) The
> other block I added to the Message.Display class was Display.Buttons
> to control the UI presentation of MCxAP OSD messages. This isn't
> important to me at the moment as I have setup MCxAP to cope with this
> block being missing and default to an OK button (it also sends out a
> xAP.Error message in this case as a general reminder, a very useful
> class of message I find nowadays!).
It was only ever intended as a simple display class for the original
watcher, but now is used for lcds, vfds, pc, mc...  seems to do the job
nicely!

> 4. Is there any way that I can configure which callers generate
> ToSend.txt output?
Not yet but this is on the list.  I really want to be able to, per
contact, allow/disallow messages sent for calls and have settings for
this to be dependant on time. So that only really special numbers get
announced over TTS at 4am!
> As I say, it's nigh on impossible for me to test so some of this is
> guesswork/unfamiliarity.

Give me a shout if you want some incoming calls ;-)

As an example of sending a raw xAP message from any of the ToSend files
here is a message.display message

<start>
Type=raw:message.display
Target=kcsoft.mcxap.*
<raw>
display.text
{
Line1=Incoming Call from
Line2=*NameCompanyNumber* *locationstd*
}
</raw>
<end>

I've sent Stuart an updated xSwitchboard which also accepts *Pic* and
*picurl* to allow messages to include links to a caller's image if
available. If anyone else would like to try it drop me a mail.

James