Re: xAP News and multiple stories

Stuart Booth wrote:

>James,
>
>A few queries for you re xAPNews, which I'm hoping to integrate into
>some new xAP-enabled s/w of my own.
>
>1. I'm wishing to monitor a site that publishes 15 new stories at
>once. I up-ed the max number of stories in the config file from 8 to
>25 just to cover a few extra bases, but it stops at 8 news stories
>now. I'm guessing it's xAP message size limited here?

Yes, it hits the max size so reduces the number of stories one by one
until they fit.

>2. Is there a way to split up the news.report into multiple messages,
>perhaps containing up to 'n' news stories? That way I could get all
>stories in a series of regular news.report broadcasts. If I configured
>'n' to be 1, I'd get a series of individual news.report messages with
>a single news.story block in each message.

Yes very possible.

>3. IIRC I'll get news.report messages regularly, and news.alert
>messages when something new appears, correct?

news.reports are sent as per the time set in the config file and can be
different for each source. News.alerts are sent when the top story changes.

>4. From the looks of things the news.report messages start straight
>away and I'll have to wait on a news.alert message arriving. Is that
>how it works, alerts for new stories detected since xAPNews was
>started? I'm guessing the news history cache is therefore retained in
>memory.

It keeps the last story in memory and only triggers an alert when it
changes. To stop alerts being sent for every source at startup, as the
story would change from blank to populated, News ignores the first
collection as far as alerts go and only sends them on subsequent changes.

News is well overdue for an overhaul and I intend to make it in to a
proper xAP Intranet app too.
On a speerate note, which release of the slimp3 connector supports the
updated CLI  to allow __center__ to work again. I tried downloading .14
and it didn't help and the link from your last email won't work with
your nice new website ;-)