Re: xAP News and multiple stories

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:26:50 +0100, James <james@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>3. IIRC I'll get news.report messages regularly, and news.alert
>>messages when something new appears, correct?
>>

>news.reports are sent as per the time set in the config file and can be
>different for each source. News.alerts are sent when the top story
changes.

Would that mean if several stories landed on the site being monitored
by xAPNews inbetween the times when it checks for updates, that it
only alerts of the top story?

Or does it detect that the top story has changed, and looks for all
new stories since the last top story, and pump out that subset in the
news.alert message?

I don't have a test case in front of me at the moment, but I guess I
could determine that for myself by watching what it does.

>It keeps the last story in memory and only triggers an alert when it
>changes. To stop alerts being sent for every source at startup, as the
>story would change from blank to populated, News ignores the first
>collection as far as alerts go and only sends them on subsequent
changes.

Okay. I am just pondering the merits of scanning news.report messages
for new content that pass my xAPp's filtering criteria or waiting for
news.alert messages.

But it's critically important to me that I see ALL new stories
somehow. I'm just not sure if I should bother checking for current
stories as of start-up time as that means I need to save my own
history information rather than just listen out for news.alert
messages which is a lot easier :)

If there are a ton of new stories published, and with it being vital I
see them all, the xAP message size limiter is a real killer for me,
sadly.

>On a speerate note, which release of the slimp3 connector supports the
>updated CLI  to allow __center__ to work again. I tried downloading .14
>and it didn't help and the link from your last email won't work with
>your nice new website ;-)

All part of the overhaul/tidy-up, it's not up there yet. I'll send you
a copy off-list for the time being.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/