Re: xap Ping 2

> Could you try using its IP address as see if
> that helps, as it might be a dns/netbios issue

Well I tried pinging it from the system which is running xAP ping
and it says "unknown host"

> I will add and on/off/target option, good idea.
I appreciate that

> Well it should send it, you have defined it and it is working ;-)
> Your server is set to xAP so it's trying to use a xAP to email
gateway,
> hence all the xAP mail messages
>
> SMTPServer=xAP
> change this to
> SMTPServer=
> to disable

I had assumed that setting it to xAP would disable the sending of
emails...,

> and because you are running HomeSeer with the xAP plugin and that
has it's email server configured you already have a fully working
xAP/Email gateway. I know this 'cos at some point while you were
testing it an email was sent to xap@m..., which confused me totally
as I have a pc called hserver and I started to panic! (I have
removed this default btw)

Yes well I was checking homeseer and my email server after I had
posted  and I see that it had - whoops!

We probably  need to be more imaginative with our host names, but I
really couldn't be bothered to go through characters from startrek
or hitchikers.

Because I had not configured a return address I have been getting
Homeseer log messages like (because I thought I had disabled sending
emails)

24/10/2004 12:56:49~!~Info~!~Sending email To: xAP User <> From: xAP
Ping Remote <>
24/10/2004 12:56:50~!~Error~!~Sending SMTP email:  27120 No return
address specified 8BITMIME  Hello 192.168.253.114

So to clarify then, set it to xAP means use a xAP mail gateway, set
it to mail server name ,means go directly to server. In both cases
the smtp port address and the smtp address is not optional?

If that is the case would it be possible to choose sending emails as
well?

> I will get back to you with more info

Look forward to it!

Kevin