Re: POP3 email Monitor application released!

  • Subject: Re: POP3 email Monitor application released!
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:28:00 +0000

A few more details on the POP3 application features. The last mail was
getting a bit long! (oops, so did this!)...

1. It can poll any number of POP3 mailboxes you like. My installation
here polls 4 separate mailboxes for new emails.

2. Sends out very regular xAP messages on receipt of each *new* email
message. The app remembers which messages it has seen so these will
only ever happen the once during the lifetime of the application.

The default is to check each mailbox every 60s, which is quite
frequent I think. This is fully configurable though.

3. Sends out much less regular xAP messages that report *all*
available messages that it finds.

So if you receive a message from Bob you'll hear about that as soon as
it arrives, and then very intermittently along with other messages
that are also available.

I think this is useful so that if you miss the brand new alert, you'll
still find out about it later on. This is fully configurable, you can
even turn it off, and the default is 30 Minutes. I may bump this up to
an hour though.

4. You can send the POP3 application a xAP message requesting that it
report on the mail status of any of the mailboxes it's checking.

This might be:
- all users on a particular host
- all users of a particular name across all known hosts
- a particular user on a particular host
- ALL configured mailboxes

This message effectively performs item #3 on demand.

5. As usual nowadays there's a simple console mode version and a
Windows Service version available. You can combine all the modules
(POP3, NewEmailOSD, and TiVoYAC) together as one 'package' if you like
too, but I've not documented that at all yet.

That's all the features I've implemented so far, but if anybody has
any other ideas/requests (or, gasp, bugs!), let me know.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=0JQR-PCf6mGKZRklmwMgMh8k0JyFd7nLahJLV8mJzUVi3JCRS85MF9w4CG7iI0OcgAR8Nw7G-KPdnQNPG115iA">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net