RE: NetCallerID Support

  • Subject: RE: NetCallerID Support
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:30:00 +0000

Welcome to xAP Glenn, be warned it's addictive - and you're going to be
seeing quite a lot happening here over the next few weeks... It's a good
time to come on board.

Do you have any hardware display devices that could be xAP enabled eg Tivo,
SliMP3, HomeVision etc ??

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=JtLnvJgVqSqpYeYu_2J9hTJuUpt98DQvg9AHRGaV5E-OUDDWRG2xLHr0SwrEPKnwqE6ij6kSoVeuc4HJyWs">gsullivan@d...</a>]
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=Wncjrz9xe5RMUKzq1_RTp03_81R8QvQunj7ZgIllMyi6SsA-H5-CAQdtwl-PifT51VRG0tFYSf6j05NvjH5iLqjFNV_ZCg">'xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>'
> Subject: [xap_automation] NetCallerID Support
>
> OK, I'm sick of watching you guys having all this fun on
> your side of the pond...
>
> Unless someone has already done so (actually, who cares if
> they have already done so... I'm going to do it myself) I
> plan on writing a xAPplication for Caller ID in the US,
> using the popular NetCallerID box, which, like your
> Meteor, has a serial out. Actually, I am all done, but
> I'm sure I am not compliant is some regards, hence this message.

That would be a well needed application - and will tie in well with a few
other things too - does the NetCaller ID report dialled digits too by any
chance ?? I have done a little bit of extra work on the Meteor CallerID
schema if your NetCallerID supports dialled digits - that's why I was
asking.

If there's any chance you can support the standard 'Hayes modem' style
Caller ID over there that would be a really useful app. We have very few
(maybe none now) modems that work with CallerID here so any US help would
be
much appreciated.

> I have a couple quick questions, while I am waiting to be
> approved on the developer list:

I'm sure that is in hand elsewhere..

> 1. The CID.Incoming schema: In the US, all incoming CID
> data has some name attached to it. I assume that in the
> UK this in an optional, to-be-supported-at-a-future-date
> feature, hence the optional value called "Name." I assume
> that this is where my "Name" data should go?

"to-be-supported-at-a-future-date" really means we'd like to do
it but we
cant be bothered or afford it I think. So we don't have it ... Yes - pop
your name in there - and if there are other bits of the CID schema you
think
we need to address to be better US suited do let us know.

> 2. Formatted_Date/Time: I assume that this is Freeform,
> whatever-format-I-prefer?
>
> 3. What is "TYPE=RingBack"? Is
"Type=MessageWaiting" the
> same as "This is callerID info for a call on CallWaiting?"

We have a facility to call a number and if it is engaged we can type a
digit
and ask for a 'ringback' when the number becomes free - that 'return' call
comes in with an identifier of 'ringback'. Message waiting comes from our
"1571" answerphone service. It was designed to let you know that
a message
has been recorded on a central (based at the exchange) answerphone. You
then
have to dial 1571 to recover it. I think the hope was that they could send
this CID without ringing your phone. In the UK the CID appears before the
ring pulses so I guess this is possible, In the US I think it is after he
first ring - maybe we got something right here ... However I don't think it
is implemented ( I spoke too soon) - you get the same effect because when
the answerphone service rings yo back it actually appears as an incoming
call using your phone number so you know its from the answerphone service -
but it does ring.

Caller ID on Call waiting comes in just as a CallerID identification - I
don't think it is specifically identified differently in the BT SIN spec
document . To know it was actualy a call waiting CID would require you to
know the satte of the phone was 'off hook' when a CID incoming was
received.
Unfortunately the Meteor does not support CID on call waiting - in fact
very
few devices do over here.

> 4. Vendor Name - While testing, I'm using some silly name.
> I assume that there is some sort of central registry? And
> for DeviceName, I am using "NetCallerID" which I assumed
> would be fine.

Choose a name and we'll reserve it for you.

> Sorry for the basic questions...

They help everyone , so keep them coming...

Kevin