Re: x-10 hardware documentation

  • Subject: Re: x-10 hardware documentation
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:39:00 +0000

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:27:18 +0300, "Alex Ciurea" <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=Msn1JGwazxbA98NbSdi1V1RrORhG2Tx6-xKNvbLXjOpttL8pcQdockpjF-guraMgG2awp9Y">alex@v...</a>>
wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>I know the basics of a http server because I know how to work with PHP
>(still perl is probably more suitable for this application) but I don't
know
>where and how the script sends the "xap-send" command.

Apologies for butting in here :-) In this case xap-send will be an
external programme which takes a xap message as an input. I think.

>Stuard Booth said that I need a CM12 device, connected to a serial
port. Is
>that the target device for the "xap-send" command?

There seem to be a couple of ways of thinking in this, and I seem to
be alone in thinking that I should send a message targetted at the
device - in this case the lamp, and not the CM12 - even if the lamp
cannot natively pick up xAP messages.

Others feel the message should be targetted at a xAP 'connector'
application which interfaces between xAP and X10.

Nowadays I do both.

>>From this point, the CM12 converts the command into x10 signal and
broadcast
>it to all over mains?

Yes - the CM12 is the interface between the PC and the mains supply.

>And if it's like this, I need another CM12 to decode my x10 signal and
>control my device? (e.g a lamp)

Not quite. You need an LM12, a Lamp Module, that the lamp plugs into
to receive the X10 signal.

I guess CM stands for Computer Module?? I'm guessing at that bit. I
have't experimented with X10 so somebody will hopefully jump in to
correct me if I'm wrong in this.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=26YHSXOl-DCo307u2vvfza5xXcn9OFvLloKlETE9TR7qVZHI83tDHdALyxC_s9DdMTlxQS0JV7QhIMgAU9vA">stuart@x...</a>