RE: x-10 hardware documentation

  • Subject: RE: x-10 hardware documentation
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:03:00 +0000

Just to be clear Alex - there are two types of controller you are talking
about here. xAP and X10. xAP is very new so you can't buy 'off the shelf'
xAP controllers yet - most of the applications are run through a PC.

1) xAP is effectively a software protocol but it can be embedded in
a device either as a sender, which is really a controller, (perhaps a PC or
timer) and also in a receiver - perhaps a little box that acts as an
On/OFF/Dimmer for your lamp. If they were both xAP capable then you would
need some connection between them to act as the network. This could be
Ethernet, serial (eg RS232) or many other possibilities including such
things as radio - as long as data can get between the sender and the
receiver.

2) X10 is a much older technology and has no dependence on xAP - it
effectively allows you to buy a very low cost hardware X10 controller and
very low cost lamp or appliance modules and they talk to each other over
your existing mains wiring. If you have not seen this working then do buy
yourself a couple of modules to play - it is quite enlightening and not
overly expensive. Make sure that you get the correct voltage units for your
country so I am guessing you should buy European modules - there is a
distributor for X10 in Belgium who seems to stock almost every variety of
socket form that Europe uses although maybe not Romanian. You might have to
hack together a converter just to match the mechanics. I will try and find
the web site address and I would recommend you get a lamp module, an
appliance module, a switch or a small controller - plus maybe even a PC
interface- this would probably cost around 100 Euros or something. Maybe
that is more than you wish to invest though. If you are interested I will
help you choose further - I may even have a couple of 'special' kits that
were sold at very advantageous prices here that are a bundle of useful
parts
- I would be happy to send these to you for what they cost me. What is your
mains voltage and frequency - 230V 50Hz ??

xAP appears again now as a way of mixing X10 in with a load of other
technologies that form the cornerstones of Home Automation - temperature
sensors, security systems, water flow, infra red control, audio
distribution, telephone caller ID, MP3 playback, video etc etc. It
effectively acts as the glue that gets everything talking to each other.

So in an X10 setup your xAP controller knows how to convert its
information to a format that X10 can use so it speaks through your PC
connected X10 interface which sends and receives X10 powerline commands to
the X10 lamp or X10 appliance modules you have. Additionally if you have
X10
controllers then xAP will hear the X10 signals and convert them back to xAP
messages. xAP becomes the 'all capable' technology in this and you can
build
your own system up using a variety of different technologies and get them
all talking to each other.

BTW Mark/Stuart - Am I right in thinking we have another Romanian
member of the UKHA list ? Dan the IR man ?? Or is my memory failing me ...
again...

Kevin

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=G8aBD9t0dU4h6mWcrntCUYyD0ikWy8WP9UK1ikYohuTEbF5hmvBqL4HN9DaPVVeYsQHn">alex@v...</a>]
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=-JBcmvPK23Xa4dirhguilz1CpQ87nkZQgdiC0-Laaa1tb4MDTKSCN0LEkDKFPTj8elaU29j4yq2I8kavxZ_6KXjq0OXtGA">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>