FW: [xAP_developer] configuration, GUIs etc

  • Subject: FW: [xAP_developer] configuration, GUIs etc
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:44:00 +0000

Hi Guys..

As both P and S have put out updates I thought I'd let you know where I'm
at..

Firstly Clipsal C-Bus. Following the earlier delays Clipsal eventually
issued the NDA about 2 months ago. It was signed and returned that day but
they have still not sent the information through :-( . Lot's of possible
issues here and I have also heard that they are potentially discontinuing
the C-Bus SIM which is the tiny serial interface module they make for
integration into third party devices. I am still waiting on an official
response on this. So it may be that the embedded xAP to C-Bus gateway is a
non starter. Regardless of that I have the original xAP to C-Bus gateway
running utilising the C-Gate software - and I have been offered a very low
cost licence for this should I want. However this mandates the use of a PC
and also requires the purchase of an RS232 or Ethernet module for C-Bus
which are many times the cost of the SIM module. C-Gate also provides
'managed' control of C-Bus rather than the full and complete control
available via the SIM.

Whilst waiting for the C-Bus stuff I have totally xAP'd my alarm system -
all the alarm activities appear as xAP events now. Again this was an NDA
for
the serial protocol but it arrived within days.

I am currently looking at my rather old SliMP3 Caller ID / Outlook
integration. (xAP 1.1) Basically an incoming or outgoing call displays CID
and name from Outlook contacts on the SliMP3 display - also last call
history. Unknown calls show STD area - even to sub area as you dial the
digits - quite interesting to watch. However I am considering either
xAP'ing
this now with the new xAP SliMP3 support and also possible a small Perl
helper plugin for others - I feel offering a plugin would interest loads of
people on the SliMP3 lists - and they could use xAP alongside this without
even realising it - this way more developers might become interested.

I have also just been finishing off the Tagtronic bus interface for my Tag
Mclaren AV system - almost done now and looking at incorporating a little
xAP
now - but as always it's finding the time.

Lastly have been looking at the HV integration of C-Bus - there is a neat
way to do this that requires a small change from CSI - unfortunately it is
way down their list at the moment due to the imminent release of HV Pro.

The demise of Tony's framework for Xap left me with a bit of a void from my
own perspective (Visual Basic)- and I am just about to turn to creating a
new framework and the incorporation of Patricks OCX . I am guessing that a
lot of people here are more comfortable with the 'low ground' of VB cf the
high ground . Yes ??

Contemplating xAPing my AV matrix switch at the moment too - so many things
... so little time.

Kevin