RE: Improving WiFi Coverage

On Sun, 22 May 2016, 'Phil Harris' phil@xxxxxxx [ukha_d] wrote:

> people who will happily pay upwards of =A33k for an analogue
interconnect=
=20
> or =A37k for a pair of speaker cables or =A32k for an Ethernet cable
or =
=A3500=20
> for a UK Plug to IEC mains lead but balk at spending =A3120 on a
half=20
> decent router to get their network stable to run it all on ...

I think some of your customers have more money than sense.

> documented and ratified network protocols that your free piece of
crap=20
> that was given to you for free by your ISP and has never had a
firmware=20
> opdate simply doesn't support correctly.

:-) Now that I am being trained up to Cisco CCNA level, I realised that=20
there is a world of difference between managed network equipment and
ones=20
that are not. Like many things, you get what you pay for.

> "No - it's impossible to run a network cable - I want to use it
on WiFi=20
> - you put WiFi on it so make it work!" ... no, it's *ALWAYS*
possible to=
=20
> run a network cable - just depends whether it's worth the expense
and=20
> effort to you!

Yes, indeed.

> Bloody Ethernet Over Mains things should be banned too ... bastard=20
> unreliable pieces of crap ... I don't give a turd about Radio HAMs=20
> complaining about the interference they generate (that's a different

I am a radio amateur too so up yours! :-)

> argument) but they simply can't be relied upon ... they *NORMALLY*
work=20
> but when they don't then you're fucked!

It is rather like X-10 equipment as both rely on the mains wiring for=20
transmission. The mains is a very hostile environment for signal=20
transmission. Anything may be plugged in (noisy SMPS, motor, etc.) and=20
diagnosing problems remotely is very challenging.

> with us and we have no contacts or influence with either Asset or
Twonky=
=20
> and that we do our own rippers / storage devices / UPnP servers his=20
> reply was "Yes but I don't want to spend the money that you
charge I=20
> want to use Asset or Twonky instead..."

LOL! That is demanding customers for you.

Li

Posted by: K C Li <li@xxxxxxx>

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums