Re: Hue musings ...

I thought the Bloom actually felt very solid when I unboxed it but the
light output is pretty crap ... If you're saying that your Iris do a good
purple (and therefore should do a good blue too) then maybe there's
something wrong with this one ... Might see if I can get it replaced?

I did try running up my CBus wireless yesterday and although I got
everything working and paired up on my test wiring harnesses (makes all the
pairing of the switches with the wireless gateway much easier) when I
dropped the switches into the back boxes (the guy that wired this place
helpfully used really deep plasterboard boxes) I couldn't get reliable
comms and programming ... Turns out the whole place is done even internally
with foil backed insulated board which must be blocking RF back to the
gateway ... :-(

Looks like the mesh (ZigBee based) networks will work fine here though so
I'm back to the Hue stuff for now ... I do like the Geofence function on
the Hue software but the rest of the Hue app is pretty clunky and rather
obstructive and difficult to navigate easily. If I'm going to stick with
Hue then I will need to order up a bunch more wireless remotes and thinking
about whether it would be possible to 3D print up some replacement switch
cover blanks with receptacles for the wireless dimmer switches in them to
make them more useable.

One thing I did find which is handy though ... All the light switch
locations in this place are wired with a neutral so I need to have a look
and see if I can find some nice wall ZigBee wall switches. :-)

Just need to find a ZigBee capable equivalent of HomeGate (Clipsal CBus) or
HomeVision ... :-)

Phil

Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...

> On 30 Dec 2015, at 10:20, Paul Gale groups2@xxxxxxx [ukha_d]
<ukha_d@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't like the bloom much - too small and under powered. I do have 9
(!) of the Iris lamps though and love them. They have cut manufacturing
costs significantly over the years and they're now very plasticy - used to
be much more stylish. Still good for colouring a small wall though. Not
tested CRI etc but they do pretty well on purple which they're mostly used
on.

> As for the White and Hue colour bulbs (which they were recently
rebranded to I believe) - with the recent v2 hub and the re-brand, they
were updated slightly with a higher wattage LED and marginally higher light
output. So there are at least two versions out there.

> Paul.

picking up a Sage Oracle (for him, not me) ...

> Anyway, the sales are on so I ended up getting another starter kit
(the Hue White and Colour) and a Hue Bloom (which of course aren't in any
sales but it makes me feel better) to give them a try ...

> Might have been spoiled in the past as I was using some DMX controlled
wall washers, floods and spots but they were all pretty old (at least four
years) and so hardly cutting edge. The colour mixing on the White and Hue
bulbs and the Bloom in comparison is quite poor in comparison - I'd
definitely query the '16 million colours' claim, they might have 256 levels
for each of RGB but by God they don't reproduce them ...

> The White and Hue bulbs do a really washed out Green and their Cyan is
basically a very-slightly-blue-tinged-white.

> The Bloom does a pretty good Green and decent Red but Purple is
basically Light Pink and Blue is really poor too ... I'm actually wondering
if it could be faulty given that other reviews on the Bloom have been very
complimentary about its colour rendition.

Posted by: Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums