Re: The Best Value Way to Start Your HomeKit Smart Home Setup

My 'thinking' is that I would chocolate-block the light switches in the
kit=
chen, living room and bedroom so that the light is permanently powered,
pop=
a blanking plate over the top and then (hopefully) mount the Hue wireless =
dimmer switch on top of that ... I'm in rented too! :-)

The other thing is that where I'm living the sparky who wired it seems to
h=
ave had no concept of two way switching so there's a kitchen light switch
b=
y the outside door but not by the living room door and there's a living
roo=
m light switch by the kitchen door but not by the bedroom so the wireless
s=
witches *COULD* be a godsend!

Phil

Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...

> On 21 Dec 2015, at 10:48, Paul Gale groups2@xxxxxxx [ukha_d] <uk=
ha_d@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> You mean pair the dimmer switch to ST?
>=20
> There is a user created device type for the dimmer on the ST forums -
the=
re are still some issues with it though and I've not tried it just yet.
But=
by using that, it's possible to pair the remote switch with ST as a 4 butt=
on remote and then of course, you can do what you like with it - turn
on/of=
f all kinds of ST devices. I think there's an issue using it as a dimmer
th=
ough as there's highish latency, so holding down the dim/brighten buttons
m=
ay not respond very well.
>=20
> I'm planning for now, to use them just to control Hue lamps and scenes
an=
d stich the remote next to the normal light switches - that way, response
i=
s super fast and can theoretically keep the lamps on so they can be
automat=
ed. Of course, doesn't work if someone turns the physical light switch
off!=
Might just disable the light switch - wire it permanently on and not tell =
the landlord! Mmmm, maybe not. Damn rented houses!
>=20
>=20
> Paul.
>=20
Home=
Setup
>=20
> Paul,
>=20
> Bulb & dimmer kits seem like a bargain. Is it possible to do
control of '=
stair' lighting using multiple dimmer switches and ST ?
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
> Stuart
>=20
>=20
>> On 21/12/15 10:37, Paul Gale groups2@xxxxxxx [ukha_d] wrote:
>>=20
>> Oh you meant the Hue kits, not ST?
>>=20
>> 4 more Hue bulb and wireless dimmer switches just got delivered
JThey=20
>> are very good.
>>=20
>> Paul.
>>=20
Smart=20
>> Home Setup
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Ordered the =C2=A359.99 'Starter Kit' which they say should be
with me (=
or=20
>> more accurately, my dad as I'm heading up there for Xmas) on
Thursday=20
>> all being well and the =C2=A329.99 'Wireless Dimming Kit' which
should b=
e=20
>> with there tomorrow.
>>=20
>> Starter Kit now showing as 'Out Of Stock' again...
>>=20
>> Phil
>>=20
>> Sent from another bloody fruit-bas