From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Keith
Doxey
Sent: 26 October 2012 16:53
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Nasty surprise this morning.....

Hi All

Woke up this morning to find that the ring main had tripped off and there
was a "burnt electrical" smell hanging around.

Went to the consumer unit and flicked the breaker back on and it instantly
tripped off, but it tends to do that after I have had the power off due to
the inrush currents on all the switch mode PSUs dotted around the house.

Flicked it back on again and it stayed on but as the power came back on
there was a flash and bang from behind me. I thought at first it was the
freezer but that seemed to be working OK.

Then I noticed that the display was blank on the X10 Mini Timer. Looking
down at its power supply revealed a case cracked open and a big scorch mark
on the case as well. Opened it up and one of the circuit boards in there is
totally destroyed.

What I hadn't realised until today is that although they plug into a 13A
socket they are TOTALLY UNFUSED !!!!

I have a spare kicking around somewhere but I am going to make sure I plug
it in via a short extension lead fitted with the lowest value fuse I can
find.

Thought I would give people the heads up in case anyone else has one
plugged
directly into a socket.

Keith

________________________________
Antena Cyf
Unit 2
Cibyn
Caernarfon
LL55 2BD

Tel: +44 (0)1286 662200
Fax: +44 (0)1286 678594

Antena Cyf. Rhif Cofrestredig 03626688
Antena Cyf. Registered No. 03626688

Email Disclaimer and Confidentiality Notice
Ymwadiad Ebost a Rhybudd Cyfrinachedd
http://www.antena.co.uk/email_disclaimer.htm

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums