RE: Mobile broadband and CCTV

Tim,

>From memory there are 2 APN settings that '3' have, one provides an
external IP and the other provides an internal (to three) IP address.

Is the IP address that is allocated to you by three, the one you see with
DYNDNS a public IP?

Nigel

-----Original Message-----
From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Tim Hawes
Sent: 05 May 2012 09:17
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Mobile broadband and CCTV

Hi Pete,

Can I pick your brains a bit more please?

I've now got all the bits I was intending to use - Vigor 2820n router,
Huawei E200 USB dongle (to plug into router) and a mobile BB sim from 3.
As I was expecting the 3G coverage at the property isn't great although I
do get a connection and can surf / pick up emails etc.

The updater on the Vigor router correctly updates dyndns with my the
dongle's current IP so I know that works.
Pinging <mydomain>.dyndns.org works and reports the correct IP
address.

However, when I try to connect to the house from a remote location,
internet explorer (need activeX) returns a "cannot display the
webpage"
message.

3 say their network doesn't support this type of remote access but I spent
10mins educating the service rep on how dyndns works so I'm not entirely
sure that's "fact".

Did you have any trouble like this?
I was starting to suspect the dongle/router combination (vs your 3g
router) but the ping is successful.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,
Tim.

On 10 April 2012 17:17, Peter Church <yahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I do just that, so have some experience.
>
> I have a Huawei B260 3G router rather than a dongle, and on the
> network I have Comfort, a low power Aleutia PC (running my 1-wire
> stuff and allowing access to WizComfort etc) and the CCTV DVR.
>
> To start with I have to admit that my connection is not good as I am
> in a very rural area in Ireland and have a booster installed (which
> I'm not sure makes much difference, but it has a smashing blue light!)
>
> So, the minimum data registered on a daily basis is 0.05Mb, which
> presumably is just "ticking over".  On days when the PC
sends a