Re: Mobile broadband and CCTV

Hi Pete,

Can I pick your brains a bit more please?

I've now got all the bits I was intending to use - Vigor 2820n router,
Huawei E200 USB dongle (to plug into router) and a mobile BB sim from 3. As
I was expecting the 3G coverage at the property isn't great although I do
get a connection and can surf / pick up emails etc.

The updater on the Vigor router correctly updates dyndns with my the
dongle's current IP so I know that works.
Pinging <mydomain>.dyndns.org works and reports the correct IP
address.

However, when I try to connect to the house from a remote location,
internet explorer (need activeX) returns a "cannot display the
webpage"
message.

3 say their network doesn't support this type of remote access but I spent
10mins educating the service rep on how dyndns works so I'm not entirely
sure that's "fact".

Did you have any trouble like this?
I was starting to suspect the dongle/router combination (vs your 3g router)
but the ping is successful.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,
Tim.

On 10 April 2012 17:17, Peter Church <yahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I do just that, so have some experience.
>
> I have a Huawei B260 3G router rather than a dongle, and on the
network I
> have Comfort, a low power Aleutia PC (running my 1-wire stuff and
allowin=
> access to WizComfort etc) and the CCTV DVR.
>
> To start with I have to admit that my connection is not good as I am
in a
> very rural area in Ireland and have a booster installed (which I'm not
su=
re
> makes much difference, but it has a smashing blue light!)
>
> So, the minimum data registered on a daily basis is 0.05Mb, which
> presumably
> is just "ticking over".  On days when the PC sends a
temperature update
> e-mail (500kb) this seems to rise to about 1.5Mb (presumably due to
the
> poor
> connection)
>
> As for accessing CCTV - I do not do it very often, and have also had
> abort the idea of accessing the DVR directly via a DynDNS server
because =
of
> problems getting the ports to forward correctly over the mobile
broadband=
.
> Instead I use Teamviewer to access the remote PC and run locally from
> there.
> This probably might give a better internet utilisation because
TeamViewer
> adapts the quality to connection speed, whereas the DVR probably
won=92t.

> So, in the month when I had just finished commissioning the system and
> returned home and probably used the CCTV the most (about 10 days
visiting=
)
> used a total of 1.2Gb.  Now one day accounts for about half of that
and I
> cannot remember what I did that day to make it so high.
>
> Hope that helps.  When I get my next bill I'll have a closer look as I
kn=
ow
> when I've looked at things most recently.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums