Network

  • Subject: Network
  • From: Bryan Smith <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 22:03:06 +0100

Hi All,

"Flood-wire with data cable" is the constant advice offered to
folks
like me who are engaged in a major refurbishment, so that's exactly what
I have done - 30 lines of cat6 to a centrally located cupboard on the
first floor. I have also bought a 3+8 PABX and a distribution amplifier
(Labgear HDU681S) for the TV. There is a brand new TV aerial whose
cableemerges in N0, as does the telephone line. I intend to use the Cat6
for the telephones with little BT to RJ45 adaptor cable thingies at the
points of use.

N0 is surrounded by foil faced thermal insulation, so I intend to mount
my Netgear DGN1000 modem router just below the first floor in an
under-stair cupboard in the hope that my grandsons will be able to
connect with their mobile devices. The under-stair cupboard is furnished
with a power point, a Cat6 and a telephone cable from N0.

So far so good - I hope. I think I now need to install a patch panel.
Please can anyone recommend an affordable way to do this. What is the
minimum kit that I need? I think I may also need a switch - managed? -
gigabit?

I am still unsure why I am doing all this - I certainly can't afford
proprietary AV distribution systems and I can't see how to do AV myself.

Have I lost the plot? Any advice will be appreciated.
--
Best regards,
Bryan Smith

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums