Re: GU10 Energy efficient replacements

If you need the same physical size as halogen bulbs then this will
likely rule out CFL as they were all much larger when I was looking
(which was a little while ago).

I opted for surface mounted (SMD) LEDs from an Ebay seller
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Future-Green-Light
They don't dim, but that wasn't a criteria in my case. They were also
available in cool or warm white. Warm white produces light more similar
to the halogens, whilst cool white can seem a bit clinical. Having said
that I opted for cool white in the kitchen because I thought it made the
room look brighter.

Like you, my light fittings would not accept bulbs that were not the
exact dimensions of halogen GU10s.

Geoff

On 23/01/2012 15:35, Kevin wrote:
> Having nearly had a fit at the size of our leccy bill again I'm
looking for energy efficient replacements for our 50W GU10 halogen lights -
of which we have a lot :-(

> Does anyone have any personal recommendations? I'm finding the choice
a bit overwhelming so I'd like to try out a couple of different types (e.g.
LED or CFL)to see which work for us. Dimming would be nice but it's not
required for most of our rooms. They're for recessed fittings so must be
the same physical size as a normal GU10.