Re: HA application options

  • Subject: Re: HA application options
  • From: "ajward137" <ajward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 19:25:02 -0000

Hi Neil,
I've been through a similar process recently, albeit with a blank canvas
that is a new house.
I came to the conclusion that there was very little unbiased review
material out there, but plenty of opinions. Nature of the animal I
suppose. My opinion is no different of course  [;)] .
I have always been concerned about anything Windows based, simply
because I can't see a way to reconcile frequent security fixes and
consequent reboots with a PC as the "hub" of a HA system, and
hence a
single point of failure. (I am a Windows programmer of several years
standing, so I am not speaking from ignorance).
I like the presentation style of Windows Media Centre, and found
LinuxMCE to be the right approach for my needs. Yes, I'm afraid it's
Linux-based, and it still has a single "hub" that can fail, but
security
updates are rare and more under your control. It's a compromise I'm
prepared to live with.
DIY setups are free since the software is open source, almost everything
you can imagine is supported, and there is a commercial company offering
packaged systems if you want to go that way (http://www.dianemo.co.uk
<http://www.dianemo.co.uk/> ). I'm
guessing you don't, but it shows how
competitive the system can be.
My system uses 1-wire, DMX, MODBUS, PIR and a bit of X10. Video overlay
is part of the LinuxMCE presentation style, and a wide range of devices
can be touch screens.
Take a look.
http://linuxmce.com
<http://linuxmce.com/>

Cheers,Andy W.
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Neil Wrightson" <ne  ilw@...>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I'm looking at moving from my current HA program (Misterhouse on
Windows XP)
> to something else.
>
> First, is there a site that lists all the HA programs and their
> strengths/weakness's etc?
>
> Currently I have X10 (240VAC & 433MHz RF), 1wire (Temperature,
Inputs
ie
> PIR, Outputs ie Lights, solenoids), xAP, CallerID, Video Overlay,
Voice
> (PA), touch screens and control via WEB interfaces.
>
> I'm looking at replacing my 433MHz stuff with 915Mhz/2.4Ghz.
>
> I have only used windows, no linux (I don't have clue where to start)
but if
> the argument is strong enough I might be tempted.
>
> Neil.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums