Fw: Can of worms?...

  • Subject: Fw: Can of worms?...
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:36:14 +0100

That's the reason I ditched my old Popcorn - doesn't play ball with
the
Octava HDMI matrix

I agree - got an a200 and it is very stable. There is a new model a-300
announced but new chipset so it could be quite buggy (200 series too a
while to be stable)

A-200 Works with all my files. Might not have cover flow but it even
handled iplayer and other things. Now if only it would work with my octava
hdmi switch it would be perfect.

I've owned the following as well
Apple Tv - good but no support for various formats
Boxee - has promised but back in November it was beta firmware so returned
mine in jan. basically too many times it crashed but maybe they have
ironed the bugs out. Good things I liked we're downloading subtitles on
the fly and iplayer and other support.  iPad app good as well

Heard some good things about the Dune players and they have a streamer for
around 130 which looks interesting. They seem to have rep for  good
picture quality but not seen one so can't compare.

Steve

On 19 Oct 2011, at 19:07, "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I like my popcorn hour C200 ... not as slick as coverflow but handles
my
> 1,200 ripped DVDs and 150 ripped Blurays just file.
>
> Phil

I'm
>> getting really fed up of the unreliability of my Windows 7 based
Media
>> Centre PC, and plan to replace it with an enterprise grade iSCSI
NAS to
>> host the storage, and a dedicated media streamer to handle the UI
&
>> playback duties...
>>
>> So... what's the "best" box to get for the streamer?
>>
>> Apple TV?
>> Boxee?
>> Plex?
>> XBMC? - and on what platform?
>> Popcorn Hour?
>> AC Ryan?
>> A.N. Other, etc. etc. etc....
>>
>> Of course "best" is entirely subjective, but I want
something that is
>> low power, reliable, doesn't depend on local storage, (although
the
>> ability to plug in USB devices or memory cards etc. could be
useful),
>> plays all the formats that I've got (which is mainly ripped DVDs
in
>> VIDEO_TS folders), and looks absolutely beautiful on-screen...
with
>> Apple-esque coverflow style artwork, previews, plot synopses etc.
Is