Re: Sonos or Squeeze

  • Subject: Re: Sonos or Squeeze
  • From: "Scott" <jslewis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 16:37:29 -0000

Hi Brian,

If you haven't already got a receiver, Richer Sounds have got an in-store
c=
learance offer going at the moment on the duet complete with controller
and=
also just the receiver, check out their website....Oh bugger! I just looke=
d and they only have the squeezebox radios left, shame as they had some
rea=
l bargains, I picked up a duet with controller last week for =A3149.95 it
w=
as a shop display model, but unmarked in it's box.  Superfi have the
receiv=
er only for =A389.95 http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/P=
roduct_ID/3876

I'm not sure if the duet is a discontinued line, but fewer and fewer
places=
seem to be stocking it.

Cheers

Scott

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brian Smith" <briview@...> wrote:

> Hi Scott
>=20
> That's a great find and exactly what I am missing for the add-on
zones.  =
My
> only hesitation is that =A3200 on top of a receiver will make it
dearer t=
han
> Sonos which is probably a hard sell.  I'll definitely look a closer
look
> though.
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Brian=20
>=20
fo=
> an additional A/C outlet and when the amp detects no music playing, it
> automatically goes into standby, all works brilliantly it only has
digita=
> input, both optical and coaxial, so ideally suited to the squeezebox.
Th=
ey
> also do a higher power output version the S60, but for a kitchen, the
S30=
is
> more than adequate, I hooked it up to a Monitor Audio stereo ceiling
spea=
ker
> and I'm really pleased with the whole installation, the sound is
great.  =
Not
> the cheapest solution out there (=A3200 inc. shipping for the amp),
but t=
he
> neatest, short of Logitech producing an integrated amp version
squeezebox=
,
> but then not sure what the sound quality would be like, Logitech
aren't
> exactly a HiFi brand.
>=20
> Anyway I recommend the Sumoh S30 and wifimedia were excellent,
delivery t=
ook
> a little while, but I believe that's because the manufacturers can't
keep=
up
> with demand at the moment.
>=20
> I'm also using the Android "Squeeze Commander" app to
control the
> squeezeboxes on my android phone and I have to say it's brilliant, in
som=
> ways, better than the Logitech Duet controller,  Certainly easier to
set =
up,
> so easy in fact there wasn't any set up! My HTC Desire Z was already
> connected to my WiFi network, I installed the app from the Android
market=
,
> fired it up and it just worked, no setting up server IP addresses or
> anything, it just worked!  This is how software should be written!
Wish t=
he
> big software houses would take note!
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Scott
>=20
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Brian Smith <briview@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Kyle
> >=20
> > From my experience there is usually a slight 'blip' when devices
join o=
> leave a group. I don't find it too much of an issue as zone configs
aren'=
> that dynamic.
> >=20
> > On the question of Sonos vs Squeeze; my main complaint on the
Squeeze
> range is the lack of amp integrated zone player. This forces an
external =
amp
> and introduces amp switching issues.  Having said that my current plan
is=
> stick with it.
> >=20
> > HTH
> >=20
> > Brian
> >=20
> > On 2 May 2011, at 00:46, Kyle Gordon <kyle@> wrote:
> >=20
> > > So the time has come, and I'm considering my options.
> > >=20
> > > Does Squeezecenter still introduce a pause into the music
when a new=
=20