Re: [OT] iPad query...

  • Subject: Re: [OT] iPad query...
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:53:28 -0000

(Technically the USB2 is 500mA per port, not over the whole hub - I
have a hub with a 2A transformer)

Completely agree/understand - but I was suggesting that for a powered hub,
the power often comes in via a 240vdc transformer, dropping the hub's input
to 12v (and maybe 5v too, but this can be done via a single parallel
resistor, IIRC) - so basically I was hoping that if the *input* current to
the hub was increased, that may be - as you suggest - directly wired to the
output ports.

In short, try plugging a pwered hub into a 10W ipad charger and see if that
gives you extra juice per port, in the hope that the 12/5v lines are just
linked across from the wall-plug.

THis would save all th faffing about and breaking out wires from USB cables
:-)

Dom

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Peter + Jane <pandj.munnoch@...> wrote:

> Hi Dom
> In original thread it was stated that a powered hub limits to usb
500mA spec.
> The robust answer seemed to be to have a box /
> lead where the usb in was split into power and
> data with a usb plug for each...one to computer
> for data other to charger. Easy to do (black and
> red = power, green and white = data IIR my usb colour codes).
> I was hoping someone had tackled what must be a
> common issue and made a neat solution / saved me a job!!
> Rgds
> Peter
>
> At 01:05 11/03/2011, you wrote:
> >

> >Hmmmm,
> >
> >I think you may even be able to take a powered
> >hub that uses a usb connection for power, also
> >works non-powered, and power it via the Apple
> >power adapter. My thoughts are that the 5/12v
> >rails will be pass-through when using an
> >external power - of course, running 2A through a
> >hub that expects less may not be good.
> >
> >Also worth experimenting as:
> ><http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/08/confirmed-not-charging-ipad-does-recharge/>http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/08/confirmed-not-charging-ipad-does-recharge/
> >suggest/confirm that at least when idle, it stills charges on
500ma USB ports.

> >Dom
> >--- In
> ><mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>ukha_d@xxxxxxx,
> >Peter + Jane <pandj.munnoch@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > Back end of last year there was a long thread
> > re sync-ing and charging iPads.
> > > The basis was that an iPad needs 2 amps and usb delivers
just 500mA.
> > > Someone (Dave Mclaughlin?) was looking at
> > > producing a splitter (charge from charger / data from usb).
> > > Did this ever happen (Phil Harris...did you
> > > resolve the problem this or any other way?)
> > > Is there anything on the market?
> > > Thanks
> > > Peter (whose iPad using wife still mutters.........)

> > eSyncAdaptor.pdf>http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/iPadChargeSyncAdaptor.pdf>http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/iPadChargeSyncAdaptor.pdf

> > requested a quote for the PCB's so
this.

> > PLUG on the BOX, is a short flying