Re: Any Postgress & MySQL experts in the house?

Andy,

I use RRD already, it does draw pretty graphs, but it doesn't store data
too
well, everything is constantly being averaged to save space, so you lose
the
fine detail.

That said, the reason for wanting to use MySQL is because the scripts I
have
are geared around Postgress and I want to save the fine detail of the solar
panels output.

Lee

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Andy Davies <dajdavies@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Perhaps not the answer you're looking for but...
>
> Have you considered using something the RRDTool (
> http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/index.en.html)
to store the data instead?

> It's built for storing time series data, less resource hungry than
MySQL
> and
> can produce pretty graphs fairly easily.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

> On 1 March 2011 23:42, Vargster <vargster@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've recently installed a solar PV system. The inverter in the
system, a
> > SMA
> > SB 3800 is fitted with an RS485 interface to read data out of it.
> > So to my problem, the only sensible code I've found to read data
uses
> > Postgress to store the data.
> > Not a major issue, but my main server is already underpowered
enough and
> > already runs MySQL, so I don't really want to install/run
Postgress on
> it.
> > This leaves me with having to convert a script to create the
Postgress DB
> > MySQL, but my MySQL is poor and my Postgress is non-existent, as
I've