Re: Whole House Audio - Two Channel Amplifiers?

On 07/14/2011 03:36 PM, Ste Daniels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm renovating a 1960's house. Intending to pre-wire for 7.1 ceiling
> speakers in the lounge and the den.
>
> I'll also be pre-wiring stereo for all the other rooms so I can have
whole
> house audio, this is where I need the help.
>
> My intention is to drive each room using a separate instance of
Squeezeslave
> all from one linux server.
>
> Soo... I've got 7 rooms + 4 other zones I'd like to control. Am I
correct in
> thinking 11 two channel amplifiers are the way to go? Or are there
cheaper
> alternatives?
>
> I intend to control the volume in software so am I right in thinking
that I
> don't need any extra volume control on the amplifiers once they're all
set
> up?

It might get less expensive (especially in running costs), to source
some used denon 2-3 zone capable AVRs with RS-232 control from ebay.
Especially the ones without HDMI are dropping in price fairly strong. I
bought a three zone capable AVR for 150EUR including shipping. The good
thing about the Denons is, they go into standby (<1W power usage), when
all zones are powered off.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt