RE: Re: Projector cable advice

I picked up my Optoma HD3000 on eBay for about =A3250 which I thought
was
pretty good. It's a very flexible unit with 3 composite, 3 s-video, 2
component, 2 RGBS a VGA and 3 HDMI inputs and *DEFINITELY* very worthwhile
if you have legacy analogue devices that you want to get into an HDMI
system.

As a scaler it's OK but I keep the devices that are processed by it to a
minimum - at the moment only my Virgin HD box goes through mine and that's
only because the 32" LCD that it's feeding doesn't support HDCP so the
scaler is effectively being used as an HDCP buffer to the TV. (The output
from the scaler then goes into a 4 input Gefen HDMI switch along with my
Popcorn Hour A110 and Naim n-Vi.)

There are units from Gefen that come up regularly on eBay that I would
expect to be at least as good as the HD3000 ... video scaling chipsets
move=
on at such a rate that budget scalers now have the processing that the high
end units had only a year or so earlier. (My first scaler that I bought 12
years ago was =A32,200 retail but is bettered by the scaler on the 22"
LCD =
TV
that my mate bought a couple of months ago for =A3250 from Tescos!)

I wouldn't get too hung up about Ethernet over HDMI etc. as you're going to
a projector and that's unlikely to be plagued with all the add-on SH*TE
tha=
seems to be infesting every device in the functionality war. (Call me a
miserable old b*st*rd if you want but I have absolutely no interest in
watching YouTube clips on anything other than a PC yet my TV, BluRay player
and Media player all want me to do so but with a user interface that is
remarkable only in its ability to both suck and blow at the same time.)

People keep talking about fibre but it's never really taken off in any kind
of domestic use - there are HDMI and DVI extenders that use fibre but
unles=
you really need the distance then they just seem superfluous and to use
the=
being kit for kits sake...

If you're going to use an AV receiver to do your conversion then my mate
(mentioned above) bought an Onkyo from Richer Sounds for about =A3300
that'=
perfectly acceptable...

Phil=20=20