Re: Projector cable advice

  • Subject: Re: Projector cable advice
  • From: "semi.jons" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:44:46 -0000

Thanks for the replies all.

I liked the idea of the scaler until I looked up the price of the HD3000!!
=
Couldn't see anything on ebay either apart from =A350 jobs which I assume =
wouldn't be in the same league as the Optoma.  Amazon doen't have many
reco=
mmendations ... is there a good current product?

On HDMI spec, I read that cable manufacturers are now not allowed to claim
=
compliance with a certain HDMI version as the spec is really about the end
=
equipment and the cable is the same.  Also while the spec may include many
=
features some of these are optional (like Ethernet) so they are moving to
m=
arketing by listing features supported by e.g. AV receiver / Projector
rath=
er than a particular level.  This prob upsetting the cable marketers as
the=
y can nolonger convince people to upgrade the cable to the latest spec and
=
sell the same cable as before in a different package.

As my main resistance to lots of cables is minimising the holes in joists
-=
which are tending to swiss-cheese, duct doesn't appeal in this instance, a=
lthough I used it extensively in walls.  Fibre would certainly be the next
=
logical step - but it sthe connector on the end that I suspect will make
pu=
lling it difficult within a duct or not.  Years ago I did fibre splicing,
b=
ut I seem to remember the kit was v expensive!

So HDMI with lots of cat5, and upscaler / AV reciever that has all the
requ=
ired inputs.  The Arcam's I'd love are way out of budget and the older
chea=
per onces on ebay don't upscale/convert only switch, so its prob marantz,
d=
enon, yamaha ... other brands / models to consier?

Thanks
JonS

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Not quite the same situation, but when I put my TV on the wall I ran
the
> following:
> 2x HDMI
> 1x VGA (for PC)
> 1x Stereo audio (3.5mm jack plugs)
> 4x Cat5 (1x running analogue a/v over cat5)
> 1x coax (for terrestrial TV & IR return)
> All source equipment is in an upstairs cupboard. Cable lengths are
about =
15m
> and the ~=A318 HDMI cables I bought have been great, no sparklies at
all =
at
> 1080p.
>=20
> I wouldn't scrimp on the number of cat5 cables as it's so cheap; you
don'=
> have to terminate them all initially - just leave them coiled-up
"just in
> case".
>=20
> HTH somewhat,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM, semi.jons <semi.jon@...> wrote:
>=20
> > When I flood wired I put in power to the ceiling in the perfect
positio=
> > for a projector which is about a 12m run to the nascent AV
alcove.  Now=
the
> > time has come to put the signal cables in as the carpet above is
soon t=
o be
> > laid.  So the question is =96 what cables do I need?
> >
> > Ultimately I'd like to have a 3D HD projector and looking at the
> > connections on the back of a few current top selling projectors
didn't
> > really narrow the field of what to install.
> > - HDMI *2
> > - Composite RCA
> > - S-Video
> > - VGA DSUB (computer)
> > - DVI
> > - USB (mini, Type B, Type A)
> > - RS232 / RS485 9-pin D Connector
> > - DC =96 (for screen control)
> > - LAN RJ45
> > - Some also have audio
> >
> > Currently we are an analogue house so from a sources point of
view we'v=
> > got the following all with SCART connections.
> > - Video (kids love spending 50p on vids in charity shops!)
> > - DVD
> > - Wii
> > - Freeview box
> >

> > In the future I'd like to add
> > - media player like Plex,
> > - Blue Ray / 3D player
> >
> > From what I've read some AV receivers will convert SD analogue to
HDMI
> > which would reduce the cable-fest, but I don't know if this
narrows the
> > choice of receivers too much=85as this is a once in a blue moon
opportu=
nity to
> > get the cables in, I don't want to under spec.
> >
> > My thoughts are:
> > - HDMI suitable for HDCP content, media PC / player, Blue Ray etc
> > - Component & Composite  (5 core mini coax) suitable for
existing analo=
gue
> > sources
> > - 2*Cat5e suitable if projector is network enabled or USB over
Cat5 cab=
le
> > - Twin core flex for DC for screen control =96 maybe this should
be a t=
hird
> > cat5 cable?
> >
> > This still seems a lot, esp as I've got to get the bundle through
some
> > joists, so I would welcome advice from people who've got
experience of
> > projectors on what's needed.
> >
> > TIA
> > JonS