Re: Re: Help with 1-wire/LinkUSB/owfs

  • Subject: Re: Re: Help with 1-wire/LinkUSB/owfs
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:53:11 +0000 (GMT)

Lee

Oh dear - sounds a bit painful. Do you have owserver and owfs running on
th=
e same host? (I'd be a bit surprised if iptables was blocking a port on
loc=
alhost from another process on=A0 the same host)

Are you running everything as root (or sudo) to start with? E.g. the USB
de=
vice needs to be readable by the user running owfs.

Note: curiously http://owfs.org/index.php?page=3Dfuse
says that, as well as=
--allow_other in the owfs command line, you should have user_allow_other i=
n /etc/fuse.conf which I don't have, and yet my owfs works OK. Maybe that
p=
ermission is only relevant to the user actually mounting owfs, not
accessin=
g it (and the allow_other option is redundant in my case as owserver and
ow=
fs is run as root from an /etc/init.d script).

In my /proc/mounts file here are my 1-wire entries:
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/joggler/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,=
relatime,user_id=3D1000,group_id=3D1000 0 0
OWFS /var/1w/mnt fuse.OWFS
rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=3D0,group_id=3D=
0,allow_other 0 0

When I started experimenting with owfs at one point I was running owfs
(dir=
ect) and digitemp from crontab which of course caused problems (errors
usua=
lly) when they both wanted to use the 1-wire bus at once. I now have all
sc=
ripts using either OWnet and owfs (both connecting to owserver) and don't
h=
ave any problems (sometimes an interactive owfs appears to hang for a
secon=
d or two).

You could try checking /var/log/messages for errors if you've not done
alre=
ady (not quite if the owserver logging goes in there though).

I'm still new to this so probably not much help though ;-)=20

Simon
PS. I found it confusing knowing where you're supposed to put parameters
wh=
en using both owserver and owfs - I'm assuming you should be putting
1-wire=
specific ones on owserver (seems most logical to me). I also note you have=
the device after --link which I also found mentioned in http://owfs.org/in=
dex.php?page=3Dowserver - again mine looks wrong!

=20

=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums