Re: Help with 1-wire/LinkUSB/owfs

  • Subject: Re: Help with 1-wire/LinkUSB/owfs
  • From: "leewild80" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:15:45 -0000

Thanks Simon.

Didn't realise you could run it that way, but I've done a bit more reading
up now.

Works OK if I just run owfs on it's own (ie directly connected to the
linkUSB), but if I try to run owserver and connect owfs to it, I can see
all the other "gubbins" in /mnt/1wire - but neither of my
devices.
(At least I've got to that stage, took me a while to realise iptables was
blocking requests to the port owserver was serving on, but I've fixed that
now at least...).

If I switch back to using owfs directly, I see the devices again.

The other problem I've noticed, using owfs directly, is I get problems with
the /mnt/1wire filesystem hanging after a while, and any attempts to
reference it (even just doing a directory listing) hang.
Once I'd got owfs working, I wrote a short script just to cat the temp
readings of my 2 devices to a simple text file, and ran it every minute
under cron. However, the filesystem hung soon after I left it, and I came
back a few hours later to find several hundred instances of the script
hung.....
Not sure if this is a owfs problem, an issue with fuse, or what....

Cheers
Lee

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:

> Lee
>
> I've found it useful to run owserver too and funnel everything through
that - this saves any errors/timeouts if you have more than one program
trying to access the bus at once, e.g.
> /opt/owfs/bin/owserver -p 4304 -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 30 --link
--error_level 9
> /opt/owfs/bin/owfs -s localhost:4304 --allow_other /mnt/1-wire
> (note: you might find the port/host isn't needed)
>
> You might also find this recent discussion interesting:
> http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12604.0.html
> If you happen to be running on Ubuntu/Debian someone on there has
built OWFS as proper packages, plus there's discussions about graphing you
might find useful.

> Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums