From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
starbug1234
Sent: 07 January 2011 09:36
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: [OT]ish Router +modem problem

Hi,

It sounds to me like a routing issue, as your PC needs to route through 2
private subnets. The first thing to look at is your subnet masks. What are
they set to?

Secondly, to eliminate DNS issues, you can ping/trace to a host be IP
address. www.google.co.uk is (for me) 173.194.37.104, so try the following
at a cmd prompt:

ping 173.194.37.104

then, if the pings get a reply:

tracert -d 173.194.37.104

Let it run for the fulll 30 hops, as these days a lot of routers dont
answer. What we are looking for is to see if the packets are leaving your
network.

HTH

Stuart

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
,
"peter_church" <yahoo@...> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up the network in my holiday home so that it links
to my
main home - that way I can control Comfort etc all via a VPN link (in
theory...). Problem is I can't even get that far and I think it is probably
some simple problem with the modem/router but cannot fathom it. Can anyone
of the bright sparks here suggest what might be wrong (bearing in mind I
cannot test again until I'm there in 6 weeks...)

> At the simplest level the setup is this:
>
> Huawei B260a 3g modem linked via Ethernet to a Netgear FVS318 Pro-Safe
VPN
firewall, then the network.

> The modem has DHCP capability, firewall, DMZ etc. facilities, but
ideally
I'd want it just to present the WAN IP to the router (for the DynDNS VPN to
work) but I don't seem to be able to do that, so for now have enabled DHCP
on the modem (gateway 192.168.3.1 DHCP range .2-.100) to provide a LAN
address to the WAN port on the router.

> The router is getting it's WAN IP address (192.168.3.2) from the
router
then acting as a DHCP for the LAN side of it (Gateway 192.168.1.1 range
.2-.100). The management page on the router allows me to ping the web.

> However when I connect a PC to the router the machine gets an IP
address
but cannot see the web. One thing I have noticed is that all of the
assigned
DNS servers inside the router refer to 192.168.3.1.

> When I connect the PC straight to the modem it works.
>
> I think it must be something to do with DNS or subnets, but am not
that
familiar with the impact they have, so any pointers would be greatfully
received. I've tried various combinations including forcing the external
DNS
settings onto the router and the PC - no good. And moving the router to
192.168.3.101 range 102-200) and neither work.

> I've left it with the router out of the loop and am receiving daily
e-mails from the low power PC I've left out there with temperatures and
heating settings - so I at least feel I've got something working!

> TIA
>
> Pete
>
> PS there was a discussion recently around 3g signal boosters and I've
got
one of those running as well - works well, although the positioning of the
antenna is extremely sensitive and trial and error has it only working
attached to the upper hinge of some french doors - but connection is rock
solid once there!

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums