Re: iRule remote for iPad - very early first efforts...

  • Subject: Re: iRule remote for iPad - very early first efforts...
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:51:18 -0000

2way would be nice - depending on how each item in a system responds
to feedback. I.e some devices broadcast their states at regular intervals,
some broadcast when a state changes, and many need to be polled (send a
command to get an update on the state..). In any case this will always work
better in some setups and not so well in others.

For me the pressing need is for a way to invoke/call other apps from iRule
and return back to iRule when they are closed. There are many apps(with
more on the way..) which will be released to control specific
devices/systems - Sonos being a good example and for me the new iPad
MyMovies controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCjXQfxhhY&feature=player_embedded

I am big fan of MyMovies with about 600+ Movies & TV series on a 16Tb
(so far..) UNRAID server. I am using the ipad app now and despite being pre
release it works very well - now if I could call it from irule having set
the correct input on av receiver/plasma and then launching the MyMovies app
- this would make the movie selection / vewing experience much smoother..

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:

> I've also had a play with iRule  now , quite impressed with the online
> editor and the app has a lot of promise but there is one significant
> lacking feature at the moment ....   which is two way feedback.   It
was
> promised almost a  year ago from the first release but still isn't in
> the latest version.   It is rumoured to be in the V2 which is in beta
> currently.  Without this it's essentially a 1-way  customisable push
> button remote alternative, with macros.  It can display web page
content
> too eg a video camera.
>
> I am not sure how comprehensive the two way feedback will be so I'll
> await the next version. Feedback is quite an awkward thing to
implement
> in a  user friendly way.   Hopefully button states can change colour /
> icon/label and there will be a way to display text and graphics which
> will then allow music selection and support  music metadata
> (track/artist/cover art etc) ,  or other information like weather,
> traffic , TV listings etc..

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums