Electricity meter clock error.

Posted on UK Selfbuild and UKHA

Hello all
We are on Economy 10 for our new selfbuild all electric house (inc GSHP).
Last Spring I decided to check the BST time correction on the Multi
Rate Series S meter supplied by SSE.
What I found was that the "meter time" before the change was 1
hour
behind "real time", so after the change, although it advanced one
hour, it was still one hour behind. At real mid-day it showed 11:00.
Great, so with considerable care and the application of HA the heat
pump, sauna, dishwasher, tumble drier, washing machine etc all
switched on at the "real time" time corresponding to cheap rate.
But
for the first (and highest demand) hour the meter was still  on high rate.
Big discussion with Southern Electricity. Debate about how to correct
my billing. Eventually reached a reasonable but not generous
solution, plus new meter fitted (old one was only 1 year old).
We have just fitted PVs. Sunny day today. Generation exceeded demand
so I went to look at the meter to ensure it wasn't showing any consumption.
Guess what. The clock is 1 hour behind again. It was OK at last time
change, so sometime during the (cold) winter it changed.
Here comes another battle.
It makes me wonder how many customers have this happen to them and
don't even realise. Is the clock "autonomous" or does it receive
synchronising  / BST / GMT alignment pulses from outside, if so how?
Have any of you come across this problem before.
I feel inclined to be less "accomodating" this time, to make a
calculated demand for correction (I have some OWL+usb data to ensure
I don't lose out). Plus I feel I deserve compensation as this is
outrageous. Any push back and I will readily involve the media or go
to court, even though I resent the time these things take and feel
that should be compensated as well. Maybe I should and will calm down.
Appreciate the thoughts of others.
Rgds
Peter

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums