Re: Re: Tivo

At the end of the day the VM TiVo unit is going to have a finite and
fairly=
short life - as far as I am aware it's pretty much the last of the project=
s on the go that aren't related to IP distribution of video and my
understa=
nding is that the main aim is to get 100mbit down / 10mbit up data
capacity=
to their user base (already available on the hardware platform in many are=
as) and then move pretty quickly to IP based delivery on demand.

I know there's some very tasty hardware tucked away at VM keeping an eye
on=
what's going on on their networks ...

Phil=20

On 9 Feb 2011, at 23:43, domdevitto wrote:

>=20
>=20
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Phillip Harris <phil@...> wrote:
>> Surely the days of the installer being able to add you a few
channels sh=
ould have gone with the passing of analogue cable ... even using a
dreambox=
is getting to be more hassle than it's worth for all but the most ardent s=
kinflint.
>=20
> I'd agree with that, and one that doesn't mind spending =A3120 every
few =
months!
>=20
>> Using cablemodems from other areas seems to be one way of getting
freebi=
e internet access (as the modem isn't registered on the local network) and
=
there are a few other ways (they always say that the people who know the
be=
st places for drugs are the police and that applies to other industries
too=
)...
>=20
> You can't use a modem from another area in this way anymore, and
cloning =
in general is pretty much extinct, except for maybe the 2mb and less tiers
=
- and even that is getting harder week by week.
>=20
>=20
> What transpires is that all the people involved (including foreigners)
ge=
t arrested, and all 44,000 dodgy STBs go offline, and stay, offline.  All
o=
f them were less than 12 months old, and some only a couple of months old.
=
=20
> =A3120 for a couple of months TV is a pretty expensive pass-time,
especia=
lly when it's at least four times VM's prices!
>=20
> http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Trio-accused-massive-fraud-TV-cont=
racts/article-3188145-detail/article.html
>=20
> They would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those
med=
dling security super-geniuses!  :-)