Re: Re: Tivo

As far as Virgin's projects teams are concerned they're launched ...
It's just where and when the next stage of the rollout is going to take
place that is the question. ;-)

At the moment that seems to be a finger in the air question - just get your
name down on the 'interested' lists. :-D

Phil

Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...

On 6 Feb 2011, at 20:20, "Stuart Billinghurst"
<stuart@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> But do we have an estimated launch date for the Virgin-tivo boxes?
>

> Stuart.

"testing programmes"
> and "public betas" that I've taken part in from companies of
widely varying
> sizes over the last 20 years where the testers are basically just your
> average end users and generally happy (even excited) to be using
something
> new. This can be done as a way of "getting something out" to
head off public
> perception of a product being late (or to hit a sensitive corporate
> milestone) whilst the developers crack on independently still trying
to get
> stuff finished...
>
> In this situation it is normal for the participants to actually spend
very
> little time exploring the product or doing much in the way of useful
testing
> and you'll find that when asked for feedback they generally report
"Yes it's
> working fine" whereas when it hits a wider audience and people
really start
> to use it (in ways that might not seem sensible or logical by any
stretch of
> the imagination but by God if it's possible to break a bit of kit
they'll
> break it and keep breaking it) then the real issues crawl out the
woodwork.

> I'll be completely open with you on this though - I have had my email
> address lodged with Virgin for one for quite some time (I was trying
to get
> on the trials but couldn't) but as far as I have seen there are some
pretty
> fundamental issues with the current software which I hope get resolved
very
> quickly ... once they are it should be a really great product.
>
> I completely agree though that the unit won't be the hackers delight
that
> the original TiVo box was - it's intended to be an appliance and, as
Dom
> says, you don't actually own the TiVo box so modifying it will be a
no-no -
> so if that's one of your criteria for getting it then keep on
looking...

> "Security super-geniuses" - I like that. :-D
>
> Phil
>
> On 6 Feb 2011, at 17:00, domdevitto wrote:
>
>> Not based on any secret or public knowledge, but I'd expect launch
to the
> unwashed masses 'real soon'. If you're interested, I'll call VM proto
and
> get yourself on the waiting list, as it's bound to be a big rush when
it's
> available to all.
>>
>> FYI, just about every other employee seems to be thoroughly
'dogfooding'
> the Tivo at home, and it's got nothing but great reviews.
>>
>> And no, I'd also expect the device to not be 'yours', and
tinkering with
> the innards to be a breach of the Telco act., and the people that deal
with
> this kind of stuff at Virgin are security super-geniuses.
>>
>> Dom
>> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
, Phillip

temperamental?
> Like
> have
>>>
>>> I don't want to get my source into any trouble but Virgin had
committed
> to launching TiVo last year and did "launch" on the date
planned ...

>>> ...however, as I understand it, I don't think any paying
customers
> received a Virgin Tivo box! (The box itself is made by Cisco - Tivo
are just
> doing the middleware.) My understanding is that the launch was to an
almost
> insignificantly small number of "subscribers" (500 is the
number that I was
> told) who are subscribers because they do pay money to Virgin for
their
> service but oddly appear to (at the time of launch) all be Virgin
employees.

>>> There are a number of issues with it at the moment as far as I
am aware -
> but it's only software so it'll be easy to fix, right? ;-)

> 1
>>>
>>> *chuckle* Expect to be disappointed here!
>>>
>>> The Virgin TiVo boxes are looking like being as closed as the
Sky boxes
> are - nowadays no-one can run the risk of being cavalier with content!
Also
> the Virgin boxes can be fully interrogated from the head end to ensure
that
> they are doing nothing that they shouldn't (whether that is running
> processes that they shouldn't or versions of code that they shouldn't)
and