Re: Tivo

> Special as in not very many available or special as in temperamental?
Like
> many here I was a very enthusiastic TiVo early adopter and modifier
but have
> since moved to pure Sky+HD setup.

I don't want to get my source into any trouble but Virgin had committed to
launching TiVo last year and did "launch" on the date planned ...

...however, as I understand it, I don't think any paying customers received
a Virgin Tivo box! (The box itself is made by Cisco - Tivo are just doing
the middleware.) My understanding is that the launch was to an almost
insignificantly small number of "subscribers" (500 is the number
that I was told) who are subscribers because they do pay money to Virgin
for their service but oddly appear to (at the time of launch) all be Virgin
employees.

There are a number of issues with it at the moment as far as I am aware -
but it's only software so it'll be easy to fix, right? ;-)

> Hopefully the new Virgin TiVo is as open for modification as the
series 1
> models were.

*chuckle* Expect to be disappointed here!

The Virgin TiVo boxes are looking like being as closed as the Sky boxes are
- nowadays no-one can run the risk of being cavalier with content! Also the
Virgin boxes can be fully interrogated from the head end to ensure that
they are doing nothing that they shouldn't (whether that is running
processes that they shouldn't or versions of code that they shouldn't) and
automatically reverted if they are.

They're an appliance and not a hackers toy...

Phil

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums