Re: was Introductory Message - now MythTV

  • Subject: Re: was Introductory Message - now MythTV
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 21:50:51 GMT

In article
<AANLkTin6+-Y+q+9F6oRQYQ5Yo72FVixFhcJJaC6X9NBB@xxxxxxx>,
Vargster wrote:
> As you say, it is fantastic, it worked first time straight off the
install
> CD, (unlike my first attempt 4 years ago, which worked great but only
after
> six weeks of tinkering practically every night with it).

I'm also in the "tried it years ago, gave up" camp: mysql is a
bit of a sod
when you don't know what you're doing!

We then struggled on with a centralised PVR and media player for a few
years,
but the issues of switching/distributing scart/uhf, and getting IR back to
node 0, started to annoy me.

I then tried Mythbuntu Karmic and it worked *really* well despite my
backend
being a heap of junk built from what I had lying around. So I invested in
some Acer Revos (single core frontends and a dual core backend) got four
USB
tuners, wrestled with the config for some cheapy IR receivers from ebay,
and
we haven't looked back.

I ran mythtv system in parallel with the old system, and expected
wife+daughter to slowly move to the mythtv system as I knocked the issues
out, but they switched within days.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums