RE: Re: SSD and VMWare Server 2... spicy!

Excellent. Thanks Adrian.

-----Original Message-----
From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
achampflickr
Sent: 02 February 2011 11:00
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: SSD and VMWare Server 2... spicy!

I use the hybrid drive in my laptop.  I think it is great value but do
not expect SSD performance for everything.  I ran a load of tests
before and after putting in the hybrid drive so I could check the
performance improvement.

I am trying to remember the timings from memory.
Windows start up was approx 40s now about 33s
Shutdown was about a 12s improvement.

The biggest noticeable improvement was launching applications.  IE
rather than taking a couple of seconds is now under second.  Light
room launches much much faster.

My recommendation is that use also review what else is being loaded /
done at startup.  I had a couple of mapped drives to a server that was
mostly not on.  Unmapping the drives took 20s out of the startup time.
Do these changes before putting the hybrid in so you get a true
picture of the performance improvement.

I did a lot reading around the reviews for this drive before
purchasing.  It is good value on windows 7 but is even better on older OS's
as windows 7 already has prefetch.

My next laptop will definitely have this drive if I don't plump for an SSD.

Adrian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@...> wrote:

> Hmm... I'd imagine (or at least hope) that the technology should
reduce
> power consumption over a traditional fully mechanical drive though...
- in
> laptop you don't want the sole system drive to spin down whilst the
machine
> is awake, so it would surely have to be going all the time... I
believe
part
> of the operating characteristics of hybrids is supposed to allow the
> mechanical part to spin down for a good proportion of the operating
time -
> the SSD portion keeping the OS happy with good fast responsive storage
and
> able to commit writes to the drive without having to spin up the
platters...

> I'm >this< close to ordering one... - now that I can't order a
new Sandy
> Bridge system for at least another couple of months, I need something
else
> to play with!
>
> Paul G.

 - I've held off putting SSD in my